Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,594 Posts
Angie -

Do you consider removal of dams to provide free passage to the headwaters habitat restoration or do you consider it something else besides habitat?

I ask because if you look at dam removal or the technique of creating free-flowing branches of rivers around dams used in Europe under the category of "habitat restoration" then I would contend that habitat restoration is most important.

We have never fished a population to extinction, but we have made many runs extinct with dams. That's not to say we haven't fished them to within an inch of their lives, we've done that many times. My point is, habitat is very very important if you include dams in the equation.

Juro

·
Premium Member
20,594 Posts
HEAR HEAR! I agree, bioengineered clones are a nemesis to wild steelhead. Dams are their death traps, and hatchery fish are their droid replacements.

Imagine if our lives depended on getting home but we could not, and the few that ran the gauntlet had their children shredded in turbines. Then the neighborhood started to fill up with clones all around you. That's about what we're doing to the steelhead in the pacific northwest.

And does it make sense to interact with these precious fish? I think so. I had this conversation with a high society woman I sat next to on a rare flight in first class (mileage upgrade). She asked if C&R made sense. I thought deep about it and replied "it makes a heck of a lot more sense to me to spend a large part of my life understanding an animal, then choosing not to eat it than it does picking up a package at a supermarket, not knowing a single thing about the animal and eating it". She actually agreed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.