Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, new member here and excited to learn.

I joined looking for some help in my dilemma. I have been barrowing my brothers 7' 3wt for fishing small streams and I absolutely love it. The rod is a 4 pc 7ft Cortland Brook that is no longer in production or I would just buy an identical rod. I love the small pack size and also love how short it is for fishing tight creeks.

I have been looking for a rod of my own in this size class. I really like the Redington Classic Trout, 7'6" 4pc 3wt, but I am wondering if the extra 6" will be noticeable and cause come grief in some of the small creeks. With that 7 ft rod I seem to just perfectly fit with out hanging up on back casts and chucking under overhangs.

I am otherwise used to a 9ft 6wt, so this smaller rod class is very new to me. Any suggestions of an equivalent 3 wt would be great! Would really love to get something 6'6" - 7' but I see most rods come in 7'6" and might just end up going that route.

Max price range is $300. This rod will be kept in my truck for travel and fished on small creeks in Ontario - Michigan so I am not looking for anything too fancy, just a daily driver for impromptu fishing trips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello All, new member here and excited to learn.

I joined looking for some help in my dilemma. I have been barrowing my brothers 7' 3wt for fishing small streams and I absolutely love it. The rod is a 4 pc 7ft Cortland Brook that is no longer in production or I would just buy an identical rod. I love the small pack size and also love how short it is for fishing tight creeks.

I have been looking for a rod of my own in this size class. I really like the Redington Classic Trout, 7'6" 4pc 3wt, but I am wondering if the extra 6" will be noticeable and cause come grief in some of the small creeks. With that 7 ft rod I seem to just perfectly fit with out hanging up on back casts and chucking under overhangs.

I am otherwise used to a 9ft 6wt, so this smaller rod class is very new to me. Any suggestions of an equivalent 3 wt would be great! Would really love to get something 6'6" - 7' but I see most rods come in 7'6" and might just end up going that route.

Max price range is $300. This rod will be kept in my truck for travel and fished on small creeks in Ontario - Michigan so I am not looking for anything too fancy, just a daily driver for impromptu fishing trips.

Thanks!
Hi Dropper,
CTS from New Zealand manufacturs some greay short fly rod BLANKS.
You would have to build it yourself - which is not that hard. I have mentored many new builders.
I am also the U.S. Rep for CTS.
Let me know if I can hel[p.
Herb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts