Fly Fishing Forum banner

Prawn and Shrimp imitations??

3835 Views 14 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  juro
Hey . . I'm curious. I've had a chance to look in our esteemed host's fly box a couple times and have noticed that he ties an especially innovative shrimp pattern (Sinktip - I sure one of these will be included in your dozen <g>).

Now to my question - do you fish 'em? Do you tie your own variations or stick to the standard patterns (General Practitioner, Squamish Poacher, Sauk River Shrimp, etc)?

I'm just curious, as I really like my black mariobou GPs (major confidence fly) and am currently experimenting with my own version of the Sauk River Shrimp with white yarn, salmon hackle, pink/white diamond braid.

Good Fishing!

Brian
1 - 6 of 15 Posts
Tyler and Brian -

Cool how the insight of the steelheader can be seen in the patterns he ties and invents, as well as his approach to finding and mining the intricacies of a river's holding water. As I read these insightful designs and recall Brian's patterns, my thoughts run through my own patterns then end up in the mystery of the steelhead's mind and the triggers that are embedded deep in it's psyche, perhaps from a caddis hatch during smolthood or a feast of krill on the open Aleutian seas, but thankfully for us - there for the lucky and able to trigger with a good fly and a smart presentation.

I'd love to see some of these patterns scanned!
Can't deny what you point out... although I love to romanticize. Maybe it's because for every time the chrome one makes a wake across the pool to hit my fly, a thousand have not so much as swiveled their eye at my very best offerings. Somewhere in the void between those two extremes is the impetus for today's steelhead fly culture, a more practical rennaisance of the gaudy salmon days of old. As a recent evacuation victim from the PNW, I now know that the magic behind steely fly experimentation is having a stream to swing them on. Thank heavens for the internet, the streams feel almost within reach!

Enough waxing, I'll put up a recipe and a scan of my prawn this weekend (for what it's worth!) Here's one in the jaw of a Snoqualmie chromer...

<center>
</center>

Well, you can't see the fly but you can see the pink tone of the Scintilla dubbing.

juro
See less See more
Meant to get three prawn flies in over the weekend (scanned and recipe'd)... but due to the fly show and the rod test, couldn't find my wheatley in the alloted time. Pretty bad state of affairs when a self-proclaimed steelhead junkie can't find his flybox in mid-March... I think I'm getting depressed.
See less See more
Hey Bill -

I also frequently heard the lore of Syd Glasso laying each fly that caught a steelhead on the riverbank when he kept a fish. His legacy is pretty cool - a Forks Elementary School Principal who did snail mail flyswaps with Col. Bates in the UK (see the Bates book for color plates) and other renoun classic tyers of his day, pioneered the resurgence of Spey flies in the Northwest through his own designs, and gave a logging town the notoriety it has as a historic place where 'worthy' flies and wild steelhead meet.

Can't wait to stomp those river banks again!

juro
I will be elated to be looking in Ed's flybox, standing in glacial water in the shadows of the north cascades mountains, electrified with the prospect of giant mercuric trout coming to my fly.

When considering the things we anglers get to experience and appreciate, it's no wonder there's so much camaraderie in the sport.

See ya soon!
I'm a bit saddened by the realization that like Ed I used to spend seasons proving things out. Now I get tourist-like sorties in spring and/or fall and that's it! Luckily, I've had luck when I visit but there's nothing like a the four seasons of steelheading to burn subtle realities into the mental logbook.

Thanks to guy like you I will keep the pilot light burning until such time that I can continue my 'research' in earnest.

see you on the river,
Juro
1 - 6 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.