Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,594 Posts
You have seen, touched and swung a fly in the steelhead mecca... I can sense it in your words! I will go there too as soon as I can. It might seem extreme when you look at the numbers, but what about steelheading is not extreme and it's never, ever about the numbers.

For instance some of my fondest memories about the Skagit are at Steelhead Park - at camp (as well as on the river of course). Seeing and meeting the old legends with names like Green and Wintle as well as young legends with names like Hogan, Ward and Farrar is as much a part of the experience as a big-shouldered chrome bright butt-kicker 20 pound spring native steelhead for me.

You're lucky to have had that experience and I truly look forward to the day I can post a report about a trip to the Skeena system.

·
Premium Member
20,594 Posts
Never thought about the alternative definition - or is it the real definition, ???

OK - count me in the ranks of those using the term "mecca" as a generic, vanilla, kind of faraway chic slang name for a place of recognition, a target of people's journeys of conviction - not any misunderstood link to any religious holy place in the middle east...

I did a search on the definition and found:

Definitions of mecca:

noun: a city in western Saudi Arabia; as the birthplace of Mohammed it is the holiest city of Islam
noun: a place that attracts many visitors

YIKES! We use the term in the second sense, although more succintly something like "a place that is worthy of utmost recognition and respect, a place where people visit with a spritual bond", like the Mall of America to a teen age girl with a gold card or Las Vegas to a gambling addict, or Scotland to a Scotch connoiseur, etc, etc...

I am not sure I really understand the first definition and it's ramifications in these troubled times.

I guess it's like this - just like it's important for us not to confuse the Sheiks from the Shazams (no distrespect intended) people gotta know when we call a secret spot on Cape Cod or a hallowed river system in the British Columbia steelhead country "mecca" we're not referrin' to some Islamic religious place in the desert!

Back to the regularly scheduled program. ;-)

·
Premium Member
20,594 Posts
Mecca it is!

Funny, a one-year wonder spot on Cape Cod has affectionately been called Mecca by the northeastern region salter crew too.

Sort of like Wahl's Valhalla on the Skagit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.