Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working out of a nice Cabin in VT that sits on a trout stream. I brought my Cabelas 6 piece with me, but after using Bob Meiser custom rods all winter and spring, I am ruined for using crap rods....and this thing is crap.

So I want to buy the best packable travel rod. Have considered the Hardy Demon Smuggler and the Orvis Frequent Flyer, but I do not trust that they are that good. I am looking for a 9' 4 wt ideally. I already have a 4 piece in this so please dont suggest that I just settle for a 4 piece. I have tried tat, and on trips with the wife, a packable rod is really the only workable option.

If you have a suggestion or have experience with the Orvis or Hardy pack rods, let me know!

thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In spite of the massive outpouring of advice here ;) I found an answer from my friend Bob Meiser. Turns out he can build a 7 piece 5wt for me with a fantastic blank. The fact that Steve Godshall can also make me a custom line for the rod seals the deal. So I am just waiting for that to be built and will suffer with the Cabelas for a little whole.

My Bogdan Trout real is going to look best on a Meiser Custom rod anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts