Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pic's

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of a "Rats Ass" for those of us who are unfamiliar with what it looks like? A recipe would be nice but I am afraid that would open the door to too much discussion on what was/is the original. Thanks.

Pete Readel

·
Registered
153 Posts
i can't believe it...

Julianne, Emily, Amy, and Rebekkah, my sincerest condolences. your husband and father is a great great man.

suffice to say i'd make up excuses to buy stuff i didn't need just to swing by the shop for a visit. it became a Beach Road right of passage. translated to a lot of gear (much still in its original packaging and brown bag) and even more great memories.

what i wouldn't give for just one more visit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have a kind feeling towards all "brothers of the angle" ever since I read Izaak Walton. They are men, he affirms, of a "mild, sweet, and peaceable spirit;" and my esteem for them has been increased since I met with an old Tretyse of fishing with the Angle, in which are set forth many of the maxims of their inoffensive fraternity. "Take good hede," sayeth this honest little tretyse, "that in going about your disportes ye open no man`s gates but that ye shet them again. Also ye shall not use this forsayd crafti disport for no covetousness to the encreasing and sparing of your money only, but principally for your solace, and to cause the helth of your body and specyally of your soule."

>>

I soon fell into conversation with the old angler, and was so much entertained that, under pretext of receiving instructions in his art, I kept company with him almost the whole day, wandering along the banks of the stream and listening to his talk. He was very communicative, having all the easy garrulity of cheerful old age, and I fancy was a little flattered by having an opportunity of displaying his piscatory lore, for who does not like now and then to play the sage?

>>

There is certainly something in angling...that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit and a pure serenity of mind.

-Washington Irving

·
Jonesin...
1,220 Posts
PopnesetBay said:
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of a "Rats Ass" for those of us who are unfamiliar with what it looks like? A recipe would be nice but I am afraid that would open the door to too much discussion on what was/is the original. Thanks.

Pete Readel
Pete,

Already done by Penguin. See his post on the first page.

Sean

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
A picture was worth a thousand words...

I started at Nauset Beach, then drove past the shop, on my way to the Nickerson Funeral Home...

The Memorial to honour our Harry was very thoughtful, emotional, and a fitting celebration of a remarkable life filled with family and friends...

There was an anthology of Harry photos on display that made quite a statement...
Sure there were beach and party shots and snippets of good times but one, in particular, caught my eye and captured Harry's character and spirit...

The "youngster", perhaps 6 years old, already sported the trademark BIG grin...
The suit was curious and already out of character...surfer attire would ultimately win out!
Insightful eyes were Harry intense...
Definitely elfish and classic leprechaun...
It seems that Harry was destined, early on, to inspire positive energy and a party where ever he went with who ever he met...

He left his mark and will be sorely missed and fondly remembered...
Celebrate frienship!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just read on another board that Harry Koons , the owner of the Shop "Nauset Angler" just passed away today. It comes as a shock to me since I thought he beat that illness. His shop was a great meeting place on and off season and I will really miss him. He was a great guy and a great fisherman.:(
That was my father. Thank you for your kind words. He did best his illness. He had accident down the stairs in his shop. I miss him a lot.
-Rebekkah Koons

21 - 27 of 27 Posts