Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bleak Picture for the Salmon of the World

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kush 
Trutta,
I watched that show in horror also. I have to figure that David Suzuki had to have great courage to publish the show and the CBC and BBC to show it. Here in the old USof A it will never be shown.
I have been trying to order it so that I can give it to the WSC out here in the Pacific NW. It apears that it is not for sale as yet from CBC's clearing house. If I can't purchase a copy I would love to obtain one from you. I will gladly pay any costs to you for a coppy.

While there are many reasons that our fish populations are going down world wide this in my opinion will be the end to any chance of getting healthy runs ever again. The sea lice problem will no doubt be the major culprit. Also the issue of 30% of the worlds bait fish are now being used to feed farm raised fish. This comes out at 10 pounds of bait fish to 1 pound of farmed fish.
Thanks for your post.
Steve Wrye.

Thanks Trutta,
I'm getting a little bit of a run a round by the CBC. If I don't get it from them I'll bug Juro for it.
Sorry to here about the big farm in Finland. I thought that Finland had started to wise up in the last few years but then many of the big Aquaculture companies come out of Finland. I used to train many of the employees in the Seattle area that worked in the fish farm labs on proper disinfection proceedures. These labs did research on many different fronts including antibiotic uses on smolts that they would infect with diseases that they thought would sooner or latter show up on the farms. Many of these labs were owned by companies from Finland and the ones that weren't were eventually bought up by companies from Northern Europe and moved over seas. These labs were one scarry place to work when you realised that one minor mistake could wipe out an entire fish population if somehow the diseases got out of the lab.
Thanks again for posting and helping folks realize the seriousness of the problem.
Steve

Juro,
Thanks for the overview of the documentry. So many times out here in the Pacific NW people think that aquaculture is the lesser of two evils,the other evil being comercial gill netting. I'm not so sure in the long run though, at least with gill netting somehow some fish get through but with Sea Lice and disease those few fish will have no chance while we fight to correct the problems of over fishing. Our fight to save wild fish world wide must take on many fronts, from habitat, development to over fishing and now aquaculture. It's a big battle and it's going to be a long one. It is my hope that world wide people of all cultures and back grounds can find a way to unite,(WTO) and fight against the plain and simple greed that causes the complex problems we now have in our enviroment.
I will give the tape to the Wild Steelhead Coalition to view and then pass it on to any that would like to see it.
Thanks, Juro & Trutta.
Address: Steve Wrye
11009 112th Ave NE
Kirkland WA 98033.
PS I'll be out your way from the 20th to 27th of March, if your around would be great to visit with you. Oh ya can you maybe head south and give those stripers a good kick in the butt so they come a month earlier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.