Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im putting together my first fishing kit, I think I got it all planned out (TFO Pro II 9' 5wt, TFO NTR reel, Superflo Universal fly line and leaders in 1x,3x,5x) ...except the flies.
It just seems like a really daunting tasks.Specially since I dont know what I will be fishing and where since I curretly live in mexico but will be moving to Patagonia or Easter Europe in the next 6 months.

Whats a list of must have"universal" flies that will cover me at the beginning as I learn more and more? And how many flies? Ive hears some say that 100-200 is a good beginning point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TFO makes good gear and has a great warranty, as to flies... we all tend to go a bit overboard on those. though 100 would be a good start. make sure when you choose them that you get at least 3 of each size/color 1 to lose on a rock, one to keep catching the fish on, and one to save(so you can tie or by one to replace it cuz you caught lots of fish on the other two). 200 isn't too many though. ;)
look at the insects in the area you'll be in, and try to match the size/shape/color. you could try contacting shops or guides where you're going and ask you recommendation. don't forget streamers as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts