Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Middle Aged Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from cursory visits I'd been neglecting my favorite bayside beach. Each time I've been there I've seen fish, just haven't had the chance to put in a serious effort. This morning I got a makeup for a disapointing day on South Beach Saturday. Stopped before heading home (another cursory visit) and, with conditions just like 2 weeks ago (fog, fac, flood) started seeing fish. Typically I'd see them coming from behind me and none were the typical schoolie you see at this spot. Over a 2 hour I kept seeing fish and getting not so subtle hits. Finally nailed one in a couple of feet of water and he took of to the east like he was shot out of a cannon. Got to look at my backing. I didn't seem to do too good a job getting him/her under control. Ended up chasing it down the beach about 75 yards. Amazing how these fish run in shallow water. Anyhow, the fish was about 30 to 34 inches. I know most of you people may be a bit jaded, but I got to tell you, that fish was a real hoot. Right up there between a good sneeze and good sex. There was an amazing amount of bait (2 to 3" sandeels) in the water. Continuous plumes. And unlike the normal mix in size I didn't see any micros.

Regards,
Fred A.

·
Middle Aged Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of postscripts:

To give you an idea of how unfamiliar I am with my backing, the fish is peeling of a bunch of what I'm thinking is yellow running line. "Damn, this fly line seems awful long", I thought. Then it ocurred to me that I had the clear intermediate on, not the QD.

Based on what I've seen at this spot the last two years, with the tides such as they are, I'd say this week should be show time, before it reverts to being a fair summer dawn and dusk schoolie spot. Mid morning aquarium type action.

Fred A.

·
Middle Aged Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm getting sick thinking about it. May have to burn a vacation day Wednesday. 6:00 am low - strategy would be to hike out to the first breach in the bar around 4 - 4:30 and fish the bottom of the outgoing. On the way out scope out the subtle channels and bars around the point of rocks. At slack low begin making my way back to in front of the rocks and wait for the show to begin.

Of course, if I do this the place will be sterile. But if I don't...guess I'll never know.

Fred A.

·
Middle Aged Member
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim,
Please assure the good Mrs. that the comparision was just a tongue in cheek analogy. Having said that, as you know I recently lapsed with the smoking thing. Upon gently releasing the fish, I lit a cigarette, and watched her go softly into the deep.

Fred A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.