Fly Fishing Forum banner

Line Resurrection

18K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JonC 
#1 ·
Hey, Guys and Gals,

What do you think is best for restoring floating ability to floating lines?

I've been using the Loon System on my Sharkskin line and am very much unimpressed. Within an hour I can convert a floating line to an intermediate. There's got to be something better.

Or

Maybe Sharkskin doesn't float very well.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Cheers,

Sinking out of sight in Waldport

#2 ·
I was under the impression that mild detergent and water was the reccomendation for sharkskin lines. Maybe that has changed.

For smooth lines I have found Glide to be the best product, especially if you leave it on overnight and buff it off the next morning.

For cleaning only I have used Lazer Line Speed with pretty good results although it might dry out some lines.

Good luck - I never seem to get more than a season or 2 out of my lines!

#4 ·
Cleanliness is next to floatliness, submerge your line in warm soapy water and clean it with a soft sponge, then take the line out and stretch it between two trees and apply line dressing with a soft cloth, rubbing it in with long strokes, go up and down the line at least twice and the front taper more, you'll see dirt coming coming of the front end for quite a while. This will keep your line floating for a while depending on how scummy the the water is that you use it in, putting some floatant on your leader will help performance a lot also. I think these textured lines gather dirt more than smooth ones and the dirt prevents the hydrophobic coating from doing its job, so when dirty they sink, if you are fishing in water that has a scummy film you might be better off with an old fashioned smooth line like a Cortland Peach, it won't pick up so much and it's easier to clean.
JC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.