Fly Fishing Forum banner

Once in a while you get shown the light ...

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tajue17 
#1 ·

Fishing pretty much non-existent for me this weekend, and around 2pm on Sunday my wife told me to go out and find some water before I drove everyone crazy.

Hit the Charles River from shore, caught nothing, but finally figured out the single hand spey - so exciting! The trick was the right rod and being forced into it. Where I was fishing there was literally no room to back cast, and my roll casts were OK, but I thought hey, why not try a single hand spey - and it worked! The key - using an old 7 weight Silaflex fiberglass rod that I bought for 25ish of fleabay - deep load, take your time, and the line flies! Best day of non-catching I've had in years!

#4 ·
is this with a single 9' rod with matched line? curious about the single hand spey????

also what part of the charles are you,,,,,, I work steps from the charles river in Cambridge and about 75yds from where they rent canoes and Yaks and i wondered about fishing this area one of these days --But for what?

#5 ·
Tajue17 said:
is this with a single 9' rod with matched line? curious about the single hand spey????

also what part of the charles are you,,,,,, I work steps from the charles river in Cambridge and about 75yds from where they rent canoes and Yaks and i wondered about fishing this area one of these days --But for what?
Single hand rod with matching line. Old fiberglass rod -really sloooowwww ... It worked better than I ever would have dreamed. Don't think one could do it nearly s well (or at least I know I can't) with a fast action graphite rod - timing, at least for me, would be too tough.

In terms of the Charles - I was just a bit upstream of what you are talking about. I think people do a lot of fishing in the area you are talking about - mostly for largemouth bass, I think. There are also some big carp around - I just have not figured out how to fly fish for them yet. Maybe next Spring ....

#6 ·
I have a few vintage fiberglass rods I use too so i have to check this out! my favorite bass rod is a 7'11" wonder rod (Bass model) in 8 weight so not sure if its long enough to throw spey style..

carp fishing is tough! I tried it only once with a guide and its like bone fish where you have to get that fly right in front of their nose,, but you need to see them i think to fish for them with flys... my boss here said that spot where they rent the canoes they used to back barges in to unload and that is over 30' deep right there,, I was wondering about using my 10# saltwater rod with the 8ips tip and just let it sink to the bottom then fish it up with a big white deciever..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.