Fly Fishing Forum banner

In Search Of Something New

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Riveraddict 
#1 ·
In Search Of Something New

Due to unforeseen circumstances it appears as if I will not be departing the Pacific Northwest for guiding duties until July. All Puget Sound rivers are now closed. I am searching for opportunities for pursueing FRESH steelhead (summer-runs, time to leave the winters alone), probably in Oregon. Is there anyone out there willing to tell me a little info about the North Fork Santiam, South Fork Santiam, or Mackenzie? Anything would be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
If you can wait until the Sandy River Spey Clave later this month, you should be able to get any amount of inside info from Oregon steelheaders, not to mention that you'll then be halfway there.
I don't know whether you spey fish, but if you have the slightest interest in the subject, the Sandy River Clave has become perhaps the world's greatest gathering of spey enthusiasm, talent, tackle, and instruction - and it's free (for the price of renting a campground space).

#3 ·
Ed-
Check your PM box as I tried to email you but it came back undeliverable.

...and why dont you want to stand at a certain meat hole on a certain flyfishing only river hucking indicators alongside yours truly (and its just a few minutes from Stanwood)??? Hell, the Perry Poke is a great cast for throwing indicators and lead eyed flies!! :devil: ;)

#4 ·
Dear Riveraddict,
I can only speak from a historical sense, but I fished the Santiams 3 or 4 times a week when attending college at OSU. Both Stems of the river have wonderful steelhead fly fishing appeal and have relatively little pressure, but the Northfork from Pack Saddle down to Mehama, and for about 10 miles below Mehama were my favorite waters. I drifted the river and learned to cast with Dave McNeese on this river. He was a magical caster and fly tier, and let me wrap fly rods to pay for my fly tying addiction while going to school. It was my pleasure to have made the acquaintance of Al Buhr during that time, which I am sure he would not remember. He was also a great caster and spey line designer as well. As I recall the summers should be poking into the Santiams right about now, but for better information I would contact Al Buhr or Brian O'keefe. Brian lives on the Northfork and I'm sure would be happy to pass on current information.

Best Regards,
Steve

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I'm heading down to Oregon tomorrow to see if I can find some summer steelhead or Springers. Can't stand to go more than a few days without throwing a line on some MOVING water (i've resorted lately to teasing the neighbor's cat with a piece of yarn cast from a 8' 5 weight rod in the backyard!). My usual option for the month of May is closed until June this year, as it was last year also (Stilly). I did check out the Vedder at this time last year, but it was running a bit high from run-off and therefore I found that the amount of flywater was extremely limited. I know of a couple of Oregon rivers that are good in May, but I was hoping to find something a little farther away from Portland for a better chance at some quiet and solitude. Once again, thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.