LA vs SA reels - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescaphile

However, the size of the reel's arbor has nothing to do with how this changes. In actuality, it is just the width of the spool that makes the difference.
explain how it is the width and not the arbor size. (arbor size being reel arbor + line on reel diameter).

the width of the reel is constant as made by the factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
I'm curious, why do you use a 7X tippet for smallmouth? Are they incidental catches while trout or salmon fishing with 7X tippet?
I use 7x for everything in rivers/streams because then I'm always fishing with the smallest tippet possible and basically I'm hitting the lowest common denominator. I use the same flies for most freshwater species, so if I used larger tippet for the smallmouth then I might spook the generally more leader shy salmon or trout when I throw them the same fly.

I'm primarily a streamer fisherman, and I usually throw big stuff ~3" minimum or else a bead head bugger. I could use bigger tippet, but I use a full flex 4 wt rod so it protects light tippets extremely well. On my last trip to Grand Lake Stream I pulled in a 19" salmon and a couple of smallmouth in the 4 lb range on 7X. So I figure why risk spooking the fish with a bigger tippet if 7X works?

A side benefit of this is that when I switch to a dry fly I already have on the right leader. Dry fly fishing it definitely my favorite way to catch a fish, so I'm guaranteed to be tying one on a few times a day.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsmithii
explain how it is the width and not the arbor size. (arbor size being reel arbor + line on reel diameter).

the width of the reel is constant as made by the factory.
I think some the confusion stems from terminology. What you're calling the arbor, I'm calling a spool of line. The arbor is just the inner part of the spool, basically a shaft or tube, where the backing is attached.

I was trying to say that the drag will increase less on a wider reel than it will on a narrower reel as line is removed. This is because its diameter (spool + line) changes less because the volume of line removed from the either reel is the same. Since the spool of the narrower reel is of less width, the depth of the line removed (decrease in radius) must be greater than it would be on a wider reel to remove an equal volume of line; thus, the diameter decreases (drag increases) faster than on the wider-spool reel.

The diameter of the arbor doesn't matter all of this -only the outer diameter of the spooled line. The drag on a large-arbor reel will decrease just as fast as on a conventional reel of the same diameter. It's a difference in spool width that makes drag change less, not arbor diameter. It doesn't matter what's underneath because it is only the outer diameter of the spooled line that is involved in the mechanics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'm primarily a streamer fisherman, and I usually throw big stuff ~3" minimum or else a bead head bugger.
7X is Trico tippet. I couldn't imagine using it with a 3" streamer, let alone one with a bead head.

Last edited by pescaphile; 03-16-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 PM

pescaphile, i believe we are saying the same thing then, just misunderstanding each other's terminology.

Quote:
7X is Trico tippet. I couldn't imagine using it with a 3" streamer, let alone one with a bead head.
i must agree. general rule, size of fly divided by 3 to get preferred tippet size. also length of dry fly leader is longer than wets and streamers. must be very spooky fish
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Well, it works so I'm not messing with it. I usually catch fish when nobody else does so I must be doing something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsmithii
i must agree. general rule, size of fly divided by 3 to get preferred tippet size. also length of dry fly leader is longer than wets and streamers. must be very spooky fish
The Swift has the spookiest fish you've ever seen. If they made 10X tippet it still wouldn't be thin enough. And the Housatonic and Deerfield fish are no dummies either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)

Log-in