How well does a fly reel need to work? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Neil,
I Just looked at the instruction booklet. It does address changing the spool and what to do if the spool is loose like you described. But I must concede, a line drawing explaining the procedure for the not so mechanically inclined would be helpful. I tend forget that not everyone works in engineering or mechanically related fields. So what is apparent to me, probably is not so to others.
Never the less, The Danielsson Reels are a work of art to someone like me who is a machinist and metal worker by trade. However, It is different than any other, shall we say, standard set up for sure.

Last edited by Warren; 04-24-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

if it could've been talked on, i would have had a leg up. but when it comes to actual knowledge,like how stuff works, i'm screwed .
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 PM
thread killer

"danielson reel-back the retention knob 2.5 times-rotate spider 1/8. that's hardly simple? . hold reel and insert spool-now that's simple. unless you are schooled on the nutty danielson system, and have it down pat, you're in for lots of frustration. you can just look at the others and figure it out in a second. good luck trying to figure out the the danielson puzzle on your own. granted, once you've got it figured out, the reel is a reel dream"

Whats not to get? and no, it's not a push detent.. but it is simpler [and safer, no loose parts] than many reels. Browsed the brief instructions in seconds.. had it.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Warren,

Despite its rather limited application, the Control reel by Danielssons is a true peace or art and one step above LW or HD.

Zb
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM

I finally summoned enough courage to grease the drag, and it's made all the difference.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 AM

I own both Tibors and just got a Nautilus for yak fishing. I have never had a problem with my Tibors. Simple and rugged . The jury is still out on the Nautilus.
All my reels are made here in the USA so there is no problems with maintenance or repair if I should ever need it. FishHawk
Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 AM
chromedome

Smile

I've been following the Danielsson aspect of this thread. While I bought what was then the Loop Evotec 6-9 for a song in 2002, I really don't know that much about Danielsson reels. I bought it as part of a russian fishing trip and the reel was supposed to be adequate for salmon. I immediately liked some aspects of the reel, particularly the mini design of its workings - Neat!! But it had drawbacks for a salmon reel. Due mainly to the large arbor, I couldn't get enough of the 30 pound dacron backing on the reel for my comfort level. (I just reviewed the backing data on the D website. I don't think what they state comes close to matching the lower capacity I found. And I certainly wouldn't use it for the spey casting I mainly do now.) And the width of the reel made it more difficult to achieve uniform line loading. I didn't know about the width factor till I got to Russia or I probably wouldn't have bought it. After that russian trip I hardly ever used it which I now think has been a mistake since it would probably be ideal for smaller species. Nevertheless, I tried using it for steelhead but found I couldn't get the drag tight enough so sent it to Ron Larson. He was able to tighten it up some but I'd prefer it even tighter for insurance.
I guess mainly what I'm trying to say is while I love the brilliant open, light design of the reel with the intriguing drag mechanism, for me anyway, the large wide arbor negatively offsets these attributes.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 PM

A LW 6-9 in not the reel for spey applications , except for trout spey rods, and definitely not for Salmon where 30 lb backing is used.

For what you described LW 8-12 ( Long Delta 8/9 65' head + 170 yards of 30 lb Dacron) with plenty of dragging power for any fresh water fishing except very large Kings or Atlantics.
If you would like to stop largest swimming Kings or Atlantics HD 9-13 is perfect ( the same capacity as LW 8-12) . HD 11-14 allows you to load extra 100-150 yards of backing depending on the line size

And the width of the reel made it more difficult to achieve uniform line loading

I own bunch of LW and HD reels and have never experienced the problem you have just described.
In fact some reels like Waterworks/Lamson are even wider.

LW 6-9 takes 20 lb wt.8 WF ( SH) + 180 yards of 20 lb Dacron.
Generally, white backing requires 15% less space then colored one, and SA white backing take 15% or so lass space then white Dacron.
Cortland micron ( regular backing ) needs 10% more space then Dacron.

So depending which ( not GSP) backing is used and if it is colored or white there can be 20-30% difference in the capacity, not to mention the effect of the tension which is applied when reeling in a backing.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Wow all this discussion about how to change a spool on a Dannielson.

I'm sure they are fine reels but I doubt they can compare to a Mako. The Makos are an improvement on the Charlton reels and feature a much simpler design to change the spool. I've handled pretty much all the high end reels on the market and fished many of them, and I am on the waiting list for Mako. I've used the Charlton's extensively on triple digit fish and there is no doubt in my mind they have the finest fly fishing drag system on the planet.

As far as anti-reverse, most fly fisherman prefer not to use them on big fish. I know I do not like them on big fish at all, I like the positive retrieve of DD when I have a big fish on.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM

I'm sure they are fine reels but I doubt they can compare to a Mako

have you had a chance to see and fish Danielsson DH for example??
if no your statemement is a pure speculation

As for Control, it is like anything else to date. Just look inside and then we can talk further. At least read the description.
I have Control and whatever they said is real!

BTW, both reels are great.

Zb
Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM

No I have not had the chance to fish a Control reel but I am aware of their features from the time they were released - I've read about them before. Of course it is not possible for me to fish every reel out there (well, it is, but then I could not make the investments I do in the hope that in 10 years or so I don't have to work anymore and can fish 300 days a year) so I use the time honored method of looking at objective data. The best objective data I have are IGFA world records and although Makos have yet to set any their predecessors set big game fly records far out of proportion to the number of reels out there and knowing Jack Charlton I trust that the Makos (which I have handled) will exceed the abilities of my current Charltons. I know the arguments about IGFA records but they are the one set of universal objective criteria out there and despite the presence of stunt fishing records these examples are much more rare with the flyrod records - the 197 blue fin tuna record on a Charlton record was pure stand up fighting with no stunt gaffing involved.

The control feature is interesting but personally if I were to get an AR reel it would be a Henschel. The Control web site indicates a use for the control feature referencing a jumping tarpon and I'm not sure I agree with that at all. In almost no case do I see the ability to let go of the handle instead of bowing to the fish being an advantage (they reference a tarpon 250 meters away jumping and indicate that bowing would be of minimal effect which I beg to differ as I've never lost a tarpon due to excess tension when I've bowed to a jumping poon - all fish I lost from jumping were from a thrown hook that obviously had never gotten a good hold on their mouths, none ever from breaking line from excessive tension). I also don't like the wider spool aspect of the Control reel - they used a smaller diameter and greater width which makes it more difficult to wind on line evenly and sacrifices faster retrieve. Certainly the Control reel is an interesting reel but I'm not convinced of the merits of it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 PM

How about a report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishordie
I'm now waiting for my Makos to do the job. I'm sure that Tibors and Abels would be just fine, too. I picked the Makos because I like the idea of smooth and strong drag working consistently at the calibrated strength. We have a realistic chance of catching a world record bonefish on the Oahu. So, I want to be ready if/when I hook one of those monsters. On the other hand, most of the bonefish I catch, 3 to 6 pounds, don't require any heavy drag at all, and can be delt with without drag and by just palming the spool.

If you have a good chance of hooking a fish that really requires a reel drag, I think you will be better off investing some extra $ in a better reel to improve the odds of landing the fish.
So I'm curious :

(a) Have you received your Mako reel?
(b) How is the drag performance (did it live up to or exceed your expectations)?
(c) Is the engineering and machining all that it is touted to be?
(d) How would you compare a Mako to other reels you have used?
(e) How is the Mako company to deal with?

Many thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Since no one else has addressed Bob's questions...

Have you received your Mako reel?
YES
How is the drag performance (did it live up to or exceed your expectations)?
BRILLIANT...as good as it gets!
Is the engineering and machining all that it is touted to be?
ABSOLUTELY
(d) How would you compare a Mako to other reels you have used?
SUPERIOR
(e) How is the Mako company to deal with?
Jack gets VERY busy...When you email MAKO you WILL receive a reply from the man behind concept and the artist engineer who makes it happen!
If you plan ahead and don't mind waiting for the very best (IMHO) you won't be disappointed.

Sorta' like watches...
Some folks prefer Timex and others prefer Rolex...(I prefer Sinn)
They all tell time but there's something about the fit and feel and mechanics of the real deal...

Some prefer Redington and others prefer _______...(I prefer Charlton)
My Charlton experience goes back to the early 90's...NO REGRETS!

Regarding the original question: How well does a fly reel need to work?
I was fishing with a guy who bragged about how much he saved on a certain set of reels...
He had some drag issues and sent the reels back for "service"...(twice!)
So...We're fishin' the Outer Banks...
I caught and released 5 Albies and my friend (with high expectations) hooked and broke'off 3 out of 4 due to continuing drag issues...
But he got a GOOD DEAL on those reels!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM

My take on Mako reels

Yes, I have put lots of hours of fishing on my Makos and been really impressed! I have used them for bluewater and flat fishing and have nothing but great things to say about them. Their drag system is superior to anything that I have used before (Tibor, Abel, Danielsson, Teton, Lamson, Ross, Orvis, Redington, and SA). Extremely smooth, reliable, easily to control, and reproducible (that is, it can be calibrated and set at desired strengths to play the fish close to the limit of the tippet strength). I really like the fact that I know how much pressure I'm putting on my line and leader system. The Danielssons are similar, but do not have the strength comparable to the Makos. Tibor and Abel are really nice, too, but their drag systems are not reproducible. Their drag knobs turn many times and harder to control the strength while fighting a fish compared to the Mako and Danielsson. (I hear that Sage reels have a 1-turn drag knob as well.) There is one thing that I really like about the Tibor, though. It's the sound that it makes when the line is going out. But, I'm selling my slightly-used Gulf Stream, because I like the Mako much better.

I give you two examples of the Mako's drag working in actual fishing situations from my recent fishing. When I hooked a GT (a bit shy of 20 pounds) on the flat with a Mako 9550 (on a 16wt rod because I was after BIG boys), I had 50 pound backing, 60 pound core fly line, and a straight 80 pound leader. I had to stop the fish quickly before it took the line into the hazards. So, immediately after the fish was on the reel, I tightened the drag all the way down in a half turn, from 5 pounds to 15 pounds. The fish ran 10 yards or less and was in my hands within well under 3 minutes.

When I hooked a fairly good size bonefish only 30 yards away from the edge of the coral flat on a 17 pound tippet, I tightened the drag from 2 pounds to 6 pounds, only to find that the fish was still running fast toward the bluewater. So, I went to about 11 pounds on the drag, which was probably damn close to the limit of my leader system, and managed to stop the fish after a bit more of a run without breaking the tippet. The bonefish, 26" in fork length and weighed about 8 pounds, was in my hands within a few minutes.

The workmanship is superb! The finish and build are better than all others I've seen before. I had a really minor blemish on one of the reels which I noticed after a month or so of using it (a small hidden area on the frame was not dyed black properly). Jack replaced the frame for me free of charge within one week. OK, you do have to wait rather long to receive a reel once you order one. But, it's well worth it. I tell you. He is a perfectionist who wants to make great crafts - fly reels in this case. After many exchanges with him, I consider him as an artist/craftman with superb engineering skills. He is not willing to compomise in any aspect of his works and wants to provide the best to his customers at reasonable prices. After talking with him about what it takes to make these reels in detail, I find the current prices better than reasonable. So, after buying a 9500 and a 9550 with extra spool and using them for a month, I'm buying two 9600 and a 9700B (when it is ready).
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM

Their drag system is superior to anything that I have used before (Tibor, Abel, Danielsson, Teton, Lamson, Ross, Orvis, Redington, and SA). Extremely smooth, reliable, easily to control, and reproducible (that is, it can be calibrated and set at desired strengths to play the fish close to the limit of the tippet strength).

I you saying that Danielsson HD's or Control's drags are not smooth, reliable or reproducible?

This is not what users, like myself, are experiencing !!!!!
Have you ever used Danielsson Control reel ?

Tight Lines
ZB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)

Log-in