Does eBay hurt our friendly neighborhood flyshops? - Page 7 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Good winter thread

The wheels of progress roll on…

eBay presents a challenge to the local fly shop – no question. How that shop responds in large part dictates whether it flourishes or dies.

That being said, we all have choices. How we exercise them has implications – some profound, some subtle. For example, I live in a small town south of Boston. We like to think we’re quaint: beautiful seashore, quiet streets, no big box stores. However, just beyond our town borders lurk Walmart, Target, Lowe’s, and HD. Every Christmas, our paper runs editorials urging us to shop and buy local, and support our town’s businesses. Now, those that know me know I absolutely pride myself on finding fishing bargains. And I mean BARGAINS. However, every year (not just at Christmas) I make sure that I spend some money locally. Two basic reasons. First, I can find unique gifts that I wouldn’t find elsewhere. Second, it’s nice to know that my purchase went to my next-door neighbor who owns the shop… That’s not to suggest I don’t shop at everyone of those big boxes, or on eBay, Sierra Trading Post, etc. I do. Like Roop, I’ve a bunch of little ones and while I love it, the Bay State ain’t cheap. But it's a balance and sometimes I'll trade a monetary gain for a psychic/social one.

I live within spitting distance of two terrific shops: Smitty’s, and Baymen Outfitters. I frequent and buy from both regularly (probably too regularly for my wife’s tastes…). I certainly don’t buy everything from them, but I’d definitely be poorer – if not monetarily at least socially – if they weren’t there. Smitty taught me how to build a rod, Percy showed me how to tie his killer crab pattern. On Thursday nights 15-25 people will gather at Baymen’s to tie flies lie about fish they’ve caught, and waste away a few hours. Over the years, through those Thursday nights I’ve befriended numerous others who share my passion for flyfishing. I may not appreciate or envision what lies ahead, but I don’t imagine eBay replicating that anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 05:48 PM

OC, good memory. yes, it was me that you schlepped over the railroad tracks.and i have since refused to eat farm raised fish as a result of what i learned that day. as some of the others who posted from south of boston have said, we have some very good fly shops in our area. ironicallly, it is just the opposite of the situatuion referred to earlier in a post from north carolina. while there are walmarts and ebay of course, we do not have bps nor cabellas nor gander shop or whatever the hell its name is. other than llbean which is 150 miles away, we have no giant discounters. i have to agree that i have learned mostly from either the guys i've met at the fly shop or from those working at them. plus, it is my "hang out". the value of that---priceless.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:24 PM

(this thread has been brought to you by the sponsors of the FlyFishing Forum)

So here's a request that I have made before: Please buy something from one of our sponsors. They really do keep the lights on here, and they have faith that by sponsoring the FlyFishing Forum (helping us out) that we will support them. Mention that you appreciate that they are sponsors here. Your gonna buy some stuff this year, so some of it may as well come from a sponsoring shop.
If you don't have a shop close by, consider one of them your local shop. Thankyou.

Hundreds of people have viewed this thread, so it must be interesting. That's alot of buying power.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 PM

NM,
Climbed over that railroad car just last week took three steps and down I went. I'm getting old.

Hey Eddie I can't find the sponsors page anymore.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Smile

OC,

You're cool in my book. I realize that most flyrodders are not snobbish, but nice folks. Someone else started the "snob" topic; it wasn't me.

Thanks for the invite to fish the NW. I realize that my gear willl handle smaller fish, though...Much smaller fish!

I used to live in Michigan, and I fished for salmon. I used to catch kings, and I remember one important thing: you need a strong drag to slow them down! I used spinning gear, and my reels had a strong drag, and steel gears to boot! I used one pc. rods because the 1 pc was stronger than a multi piece rod!

Big fish on a flyrod? Yes, you need a sturdy reel with lots of capacity and a strong drag. Flyrod? Well built to handle the stress of a large, powerful fish.

Give me a shout when you travel down here in eastern NC. You are more than welcome to bring your Spey rods! I've entertained the idea of flybassing with a Spey rod! I would'nt have to walk around the ponds and lakes so much!

Spey fishing sounds cool! I've never seen one for sale here in NC. If I did buy one, I'd probably be the only one toting one in my part of the state! Who knows? I just may buy a Spey for bluegill and LM bass fishing! I'd stick out like a sore thumb...but I'd be a happy sore thumb! If I bought one, it would probably be online...no flyshops near me. The "real" flyshops are near the mountains...I live closer to the coast. Then again, nobody uses a Spey rod for small mountain trout!

Are those Spey rods easy to cast? I understand they are roll cast alot due to the trees that cover the banks of the rivers up there. I have no obstructions where I fish.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:11 PM

Totally hijacking this thread...

Bluegillbob - if you're in eastern NC and anywhere near the coast, you've got to try your hand in the salt! My dad grew up in Morehead City/Swansboro and use to fish - spin & fly - all over. Reds, sharks, false albacore - you name it, he'd catch it. Last time we fished down there was spring '95 and we absolutely hammered reds in a nice marsh just south of Swansboro. Good times.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:53 PM

Smile

Hi Tod!

Ever hear of Goldsboro? I live 5 mi. south of Goldsboro. I flyfish a few ponds around Goldsboro, and hit Buckhorn Lake around Wilson.

Honestly, I've been here 20 yrs and never fished the salt! My friend hits the piers and surf fishes when the spots are running.

Another friend has a ranch house and 100 acres on the Intercoastal Waterway. I've been invited plenty of times, but never went. His place sounds like a good place to flyfish!

I'm sure that saltwater fishing is a blast. The fish that I would like to catch from the ocean are big boys...the hammerhead sharks and tuna!

Isn't saltwater rough on fishing tackle?

Small world. Ever hear of Springfield, Mass? I lived with my grandmother at Chicopee; my dad was stationed in Thailand during Vietnam, and my family stayed with her.

Last edited by bluegillbob; 02-10-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Junkyard Spey

Quote:
OC, You're cool in my book.
Now there is a statement I can agree with!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:01 AM

bluegill, take oc up on it. he is a lot of fun and knows a thing or two. could learn a bit as well.wouldn't hurt to brush up on railroading though.are you near the davidson river and the adjacent state park? oc, when are you going to get your lazy ass over to this neck of the woods. striper season is only three and a half months off, and we have a very interesting railroad bridge over the cape cod canal that i am sure would make you feel right at home.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:59 AM

bluegillbob,

Go fish the salt this summer at your friends house you will have a ball. Just wash your equipment off after every use.

NM,
I'm going to be on the cape at the end of June to get married. Have plans to fish with some of the boys already and I'm looking forward to the entire trip.

Ya I remember that bridge real well. As a young teenager my dad or mom would drop me off just before dark and pick me up next morning. Oh those wonderful nights under the dim lights, swirls of big fish in the dark, fish running line off the old Penn Jigmaster. Going up to the crowded smoke filled dinner at 2AM for something to eat. Local fishermen telling lies to the non fishermen who just closed down the bars. Some would lie about catching 40 pounders and some would lie about catching nothing at all and yet you fished just 50 feet away from that guy and listened to his line sing and then the thunk of the heavy club and a fish draged up the bank. That was in the early 60's, the end of the truely glory days of fishing the Cape Cod Canal. No specialized equipment in those days, Penn casting reel and a long heavy surf rod. I still remember how sore my right thumb was after many long casts.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Smile

NM,

The Davidson River must be in the mountains. The only river nearby is the Neuse, and that is a place full of gar and catfish!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Bluegillbob - sent you a pm.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 PM

oc, glad your making the fishing trip. but it's a long way to come just to get married. i get it, you had to promise to marry her in order to fish the tail end of the striper migration. smart deal-it's worth it. if you got free time give me a shout. boston harbor will likely be booming then. she can wait. bluegill- you're right, the davidson is in the smokies between greenville sc and ashville nc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)

Log-in