Line for St. Croix Avid Medium Action 7 wt - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Line for St. Croix Avid Medium Action 7 wt

I joined the forum so I could post this question, but find the variety of subjects very interesting; dreamy, if you know what I mean. My first intention for my St. Croix is the local South Branch Raritan River here in Jersey, not for trout, not a 7 wt for that, but smallmouth bass, since there are some big ones I'm after. My second intention--it will come later--is the Salmon River in NY for steelhead. If I can get away with it, I want a line to serve both purposes, a weight forward of some design; I'm not sure which on a medium action rod. I'm under the impression that a bass bug line like Scientific Anglers Bass Bug, the $79.00 line, would overload this rod, that more suitable for a fast action rod, but I'm no expert on these matters and just don't know for sure. It's not like I will throw poppers for bass the size of an Arbogast plug, but on the other hand, a lot of the steelhead fishing involves weighting the leader with a split shot, so there does seem to be some overlap when it does come to heavier presentations. I want to buy a line that doesn't cost a bundle, if I can avoid expense, but I will pay $80.00 or so if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any help. Fly fishing isn't new to me; I've casted 2-10 wt, but I'm still enough of a neophyte that I just hope I can interpret what you have to say to arrive at a solution that really works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)

Log-in