|12-29-2010 12:35 PM|
Well...that sounds like the right approach...and I will need to do that for all flies going forward into the spring...thanks Pal.
|12-29-2010 09:36 AM|
'Same idea and phoundation but with phur and more conventional tying methods... [as in tying... with thread]
The adhesion process is NOT nearly as effective with phur and hair...
there has to be an anchor point and pheatherz have that characteristic...
hair and phur, NOT SO MUCH... 'lacking a foot print to take hold...
regarding the suspect phly in question... clumped and wrapped...
Acrylics don't seem to have the same invasive sticky tenacity as the toluene rich goop and softex adhesives...
AND they DON'T have the intrusive toxic odors... [as in drain bamage!]
I find the acrylics easier to manage and very effective for my intended applications...
They have limitations but the good dwarfs the bad and they set up "on command"... my new favourite medium...
epoxy and toluene be gone!
|12-29-2010 09:28 AM|
the snow/rain line of demarcation was abrupt but the accumulation didn't last long after the snow turned to LIQUID...
'before the rainz came...
|12-29-2010 08:00 AM|
Looks pretty Good Pete. Is the hair tied in or is the hair clumped and secured with that bonding stuff? I tried that with the epoxy and the hair fell out after only a short period of time in the salt. The epoxy was not right for that so the hairs had to be tied in first. This new bonding maybe the answer.I will have to do some FB's with the new bonding. Here are three which I had done copying some Carrie Stevens type feathers, but for saltwater use and to make them durable...bulk them up to use off a boat so that when wet the shape formed a fish body. I wanted them to stay in that shape on the quick strip. The bonding you use might help me in doing the FB easier. I am happy to see the glueing (welding is a better word) technique being rejuvenated with the latest bonding materials. I had to use goop to secure the feathers and then some light epoxy. It had been recommended that I try softex as well but refuse to work with that stuff.
|12-29-2010 07:59 AM|
Wait a minute Pete... is that from this storm? Nothing out in Chatham for snow...
|12-28-2010 04:46 PM|
a Gnarly Gnu Year to ALL!
'Same idea and phoundation but with phur and more conventional tying methods...
|12-27-2010 10:43 AM|
Just a great tie Pete! Simple and to the point. Perfect!
John....I remember those "feather brains"...and your help with my tyeing them!
I remember they felt like a small bird in one's hand.
|12-26-2010 01:55 PM|
Great Fly... and I see that you are "shingling "the feathers, which is exactly at same concept as I had done several years ago with the Feather brain flies. I called it glueing the feathers. I did cover the head with epoxy and did not use the latest bonding material.. I did use a spreader corsair base.. Back in 2003 I think, the fly was picked up by Scott Leon, The editor of FFSW, though a friend, Jay Horton, who published it in the "Tyers bench" in "Fly Fishing In Salt Waters" magazine. Bob Popovics was a big supporter and both Leon and him were looking at it from the concept of glueing feathers to the shank to do away with the "beak" like look in tying the feathers in,of all other bait fish flies...It also gave a more realistic body from below and above views....The spreader was used depending on the fly size...The concept has been later picked up in certain bonefish flies.......Great Job, as usual, Pete.
|12-26-2010 01:15 PM|
Peeete's Weedless Welded Sand Lance...
Happy D.A.C. [Day After Christmas] and a Bodacious Boxing Day!
Wicked winter weather has driven me to das Bunker...
Sometimes good things happen...
Bug-Bond meets Sand Lance...