Fly Fishing Forum - Reply to Topic
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread: In Search of... Reply to Thread
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Home Waters
Your home waters
Current Favorite Fly
If you only had one... (change anytime)


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options
Rate Thread
If you like, you can add a score for this thread.

Topic Review (Newest First)
03-11-2002 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link!!! That is the stuff...

...and thanks to everyone else for your help!
03-11-2002 09:33 AM
fisshman26 Sparky, What you search for is also called coche tail and was available from John Shewey at signature series materials. Check the spring 97 issue of fly tyer magazine for a more detailed description and addresses etc.......
03-11-2002 08:44 AM
Adrian Ryan

Check these guys out:

I've seen it on shelves down here in NYC - at Urban angle I think - if you come up blank let me know.

Good luck
03-11-2002 08:19 AM
pmflyfisher Ryan,

Never seen that but check the UK fly material sites. Maybe there.
Let us know. We are always looking for new material even here in the Great Lakes.

03-11-2002 04:23 AM
watersprite Ryan,

Beats me what you want, but if you are unable to find the material, or even what it is, then email me. I have about 30 plus mature rosters of varying types and colors and you are welcome to any one of them, just let me know well in advance so I can catch them. Only stipulation, you have to take the whole rooster - free of charge of course, you just have to beat feet up to Marblemount.

03-11-2002 03:20 AM
In Search of...

I am in dire need of some rooster cock tail...or atleast to know exactly what this stuff is.

I was shown a fly by one of the better fisherman on the Skagit and quickly reconized it as possible addition to my rotation as it is simple, quick to tie and looks productive for a couple differnt reasons.

The key to the fly is the hackle that is used.

When he showed me the fly, I guessed schlappen but he said that it was not schallapen and that it was actually "Rooster Cocktail" and that the shop that I worked out did not carry it.

I looked around and around for this material and could not find it on the web or in any of my catologs.

So on my day off last week I took a run over to Swede's, a flyshop that is well-known for having odd ball materials. They did not have it and when I asked the gentleman at the counter what "Rooster Cocktail" was, he pointed out the burnt Spey hackle.

Burnt spey hackle was not the material in the fly as it had a differnt length, differnt width and consistency within the fibers.

I showed him the fly (eventhough I promised I would not show a soul...but I was desperate and frustrated) and he said it was schlappen.

Upon closer inspection, the hackle fibers were a tad stiffer then your run of the mill schlappen.

So if anyone knows what this material is, please fill me in...

Thanks in advance!!

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright (All Rights Reserved)