Paddle floats which type? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

Paddle floats which type?

03-13-2002, 05:30 AM
What type of paddle float should one get , inflatable or the rigid one? I am leaning to the non inflatable one because if you go over you wouldn't have to*inflate the float and would cut down on*the time getting back into the yak.

03-13-2002, 02:40 PM
I have a rigid type but I think most people prefer inflatables. They can be partially inflated or even partly filled with water so it doesn't float so high. This keeps the paddle from coming out of the water and spilling you over the opposite side when you get in. You can leave the float partially inflated and not worry abt filling it when you're in the drink. Stick it under a deck bungee or behind the seat, someplace where you can reach it.

03-13-2002, 03:48 PM
I have the inflatable type. I have practiced self rescue many times, and I think that blowing the thing up is the least of your worries. It takes only a few seconds.

03-13-2002, 04:08 PM
I'd go with the inflatable version.
You may want to refrain from purchasing one for a few days. Something is looming on the horizon which may interest you. The site is going to auction off some gift certificates to a kayak shop that has just signed on as a sponsor.