Big Problem / hopefully an easy fix - Fly Fishing Forum
Works for me! Tips and techniques worth sharing

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Big Problem / hopefully an easy fix

Finally got around to putting the Flex Coat on my Spey Rod that I have been working on and off on for about a year. Needless to say things went bad in a hurry!! The flex coat started to thicken uo in just 10 minutes!!!!! ?????????? Never had this happen before. Needless to say 3 guides came out like $%#!. Trying to feverishly heat the flex coat to get it to flow again proved fruitless and wound up actually burning the and bubbling the flex coat.

My question being can the rod be salvaged? or is it destined to be a Tomato plant stake?

Someone please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Bass Assassin

I think you can wait till it dries, and then carefully slice through the flex coat and the thread with a razor blade. Peel the bad junk off, clean the guide up and start over.

Neil
Old 02-25-2003, 12:35 PM

Neil's correct.

Historicly, I've pulled the same stunt and Neil's 'how-to' was my fix. Just go very easy with the razor blade and have it as flat to the rod as you can get to save on scratching the blank.
fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.