Why is it ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2003, 12:07 AM
CantAnchorUs

Why is it ?

That reel manufactures tout the ease of changing from right to left hand retrieve as a major selling point for thier products? Have you ever decided to switch in the middle of a days fishing? Wouldn`t you have to respool the whole line anyway? Once set when buying the reel, I have never, in 37 yrs. changed the retrieve direction. Aren`t there more important things to be concerned with, such as changing the spool without a tool kit or keeping sand out of the drag washers?
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2003, 01:45 AM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Thumbs up Changing Retrievies

Well said Slinger...

I too, have never had to shift gears in the middle of the day in all of my 23 years+ fly fishing...

I, however am a cross-over fisherman.

I cast with my right hand, and I reel with my right hand too.

No, I don't have two right hands, (as fun as that sounds) once I hook a fish, I move the rod to my left hand and commence to reel with my right.

My brothers can't use my fly reels because of this , they crank with their left hands and cast with their right...

Who, in their right mind is going to waste fishing time respooling the reel if they don't need to?

I guess this is why they make the EXTRA SPOOLS... :hehe:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2003, 12:24 PM

I have, a few times, when I have loaned a reel to a friend. What they didn't know was that 30yds or so into the backing was a knot so that I only had to reverse 30yds of backing. I guesse I don't have that much faith.
I have bought reels that were not easy to change and that was a pain (Ross).
Many reels used to be sold as right or left only.
A reel company called Gilmore has come out with a system where youu flip a casset that holds the backing. This means that you could chnge over on the strem/boat. Maybe a guide would find this useful?
I can turn it both ways, so I don't care so much.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
r/l change

i think you are assuming that that feature is for you to change, maybe even on the river. believe they do it so that they and the retailers only need one reel in inventory and it can be sold and set up for the buyers preference by the store. otherwise they would have to carry more inventory to be ready for a lefty or righty.also if you wish to resell it you are not restricted to one type of buyer. beau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.