Fly Tying Kits? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2003, 11:11 AM

Fly Tying Kits?

I have never before done any fly tying and am looking to purchase a fly tying kit to get started. Could anyone recommend a good fly tying kit to get started? I have found two kits that I am considering. They are the Deluxe Fly Tying Kit offered by Cabelas and Umpqua's beginning Kit. The details for these kits are as follows:

- The Deluxe Fly-Tying Kit (Cabelas) comes with Jack Dennis' "Western Trout Fly-Tying Manual" Vol. 1 and a two-hour fly-tying basics video.
Kit includes:
Master fly-tying vise; bobbin; hackle pliers; whip finisher; scissors; booklet; two complete rooster necks (brown and black); peacock herl; two gray duck quills; two white duck quills; three bucktail pieces (red, white and yellow); deer body patch; wax; spool of thread; 1-oz. fly-head cement; 100 assorted fly-tying hooks; saddle hackle (red and yellow); grizzly hackle; hare's mask; marabou (white and black); copper wire; gold and silver tinsel; muskrat piece; beaver piece; elk piece (light); assorted dubbing furs (olive, cream, rusty brown); mallard flank; imitation wood duck flank; black floss; black chenille.

- Umpqua's BEGINNER'S FLY TYING KIT This kit gives you everything you need to get started and end up with something to attach to the end of your tippet. No need to shop around, one box includes: fly tying vise, bobbin, hackle pliers, scissors, sample flies, assorted hooks, head cement, tinsel, floss, tying thread, assorted chenille, peacock, Metz® dry fly hackle, assorted marabou, mallard flank feathers, deer body hair, strung saddle hackle, assorted dubbing, calf hair, turkey quill, bucktail pieces and a fly tying instruction book. Get ready to bug out. Complete fly tying set up Includes tying instructions and sample flies Satisfaction guaranteed by Umpqua.

Which of these two kits would be best? They are both priced at $50. Are there other kits I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2003, 11:51 AM

Check out Kaufman's Streamborn fly tying kits, they are a forumn
sponsor.

I bought theres in 1980 to get started tying.

PM Out
Old 02-19-2003, 12:24 PM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Thumbs up fly kit

I got my brother a delux fly tying kit from Cabela's for christmas, he loves it.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Do a search on this site and you will get tons of info. This question has been asked a few times. If you have more questions, ask away.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:17 AM
"chicks dig scars"

welcome to your new addiction

started out with the deluxe tying kit from cabela's....loved it....very economical and practical. check out the book "the art of fly tying" excellent manual for the beginner.....step by step photos and explanations or techniques.....also, don't get duped into investing big $$$$$ in materials. make buddies with farmers and hunters....they can keep you in more material than you'll ever use...here in my neck of the woods of central ky, i have guys that supply me with everything from llama to turkey featherws to emu, goat, bear, mallard, peacock, and deer hides...skins and hides are easy to preserve and with last a lifetime....and share the wealth...save your buddy a buck or two.

tattoos and 10 gauge dreams
Old 02-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Fluff

Tough part of getting by your post is being jealous of your access to all those materials - BUDDY !!!!!!

Signed, Your New Best Friend !
Old 03-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Fly tying kits

An alternative to buying a kit is to take some lessons first at your local fly shop or fly fishing club. Very quickly you wil see if you want to go with a kit, or start to acquire things on your own.
I have always been disappointed with kits, and am surprised that so many of the members were pleased with them. I beleive that you get a lot of stuff that you may not use for five years, if then: and the items you get are so small that after tying a few flies,you are soon out trying to replace them at a fly shop.
My theory has been that if you're intersted in tying get a good vise to start with, pick a pattern like a caddis and go out and buy everything you need to tie it. After a bit, pick another pattern that you will fish with, and go get that stuff. You will eventrually be doing this anyway, regardless of how good the kit is.

the instruction books tht you get with kits are OK but there are a lot of videos that are better. Our club has a library with enough of them to get most people started

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.