Siliskin sandeel - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 08:50 PM

Siliskin sandeel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sully, I'd say something but many of my striper patterns have exactly the same amount of natural materials in them! Glass houses, etc...

One things for sure, that'll work!

One question: How flexible is the front portion as opposed to softex? I know it's softer than epoxy.

Hey how about putting one of those sweet looking jungle cock eyes you got in last year's order under the siliskin
Old 02-18-2003, 11:23 PM

Juro,

The saying goes if you build a better mousetrap, jig, sluggo er... um ... fly they will come. The fish I hope.

This is a modified version of what I was trying to accomplish last year. I was tying a lot of bonefish flies with the sili-legs material and thought about incorporating that into a sandeel pattern. It was Jared I believe who pointed out a major design fouling problem and he was right.

I was messing around with a modified version of the Vineyard Floater sandeel pattern but it just didn't give me what I wanted in a sub-surface fly. Meaning the Corsair tubing was just too stiff for the action I wanted. I firmly believe that either the action or the feel during the bite of soft plastics give them their advantage.

Taking a few steps back the reasoning of my madness is that I wanted to have a fly that I have ultimate confidence in. Something that will work hopefully as well as rigged plastics on a spinning rod. Thereby keeping the long wand in my hand. I can't say that I will be flyfisherman only but I enjoy it and that's what it's all about.

Anywho, I saw this material that Rich Murphy used to tie a sweet looking fly with and figured it would be the missing piece of the puzzle which I think it may be.

To answer your questions. I 've never used softex but the sili-skin is as soft and flexible as soft plastics. The material is a translucent pearl that lets colors show through. The image really doesn't do justice to the colors on the fly.

I didn't try it yet but I'll bet that a jungle cock eye's colors will shine right through the stuff. But I'm mostly saving that to tie some streamers for landlocks and hopefully some classic atlantic patterns.

I'll bet that this pattern with a few modifications would make an absolute killer squid fly.

Lastly it may not be obvious in the image but this pattern has a tungsten conehead, olive sili-legs over white sili-legs and sili-skin. Add eyes and your hook (Varivas 2/0) of choice and thats it.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I saw the stuff on the card and didn't really get a feel for how pliable it was looking at it at the time. Thanks for the reply - it sounds like it is much more flexible than softex.

I asked Rich for a "special order" color at Newport, maybe someday...
Old 02-19-2003, 11:32 AM

Sully,
Sharing? I better field test a few of those for ya out on the sandbar in about 8 weeks. I like em.
Question: Do they sink?

Lefty
Old 02-20-2003, 07:49 PM

No they don't stink!

Ohhhh ya they sink.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 PM

sean,
Was observing Rich working his magic with the skin last night at the den show. The surface of the skin is VERY receptive to simple adhesives to the point where he applies a 3-D eye directly to the surface without any additional glue ( like goop ). I'd love the counterpoint of having a nice jungle cock eye inside the 'tube' formed by the skin but you might find it simpler to test a small epoxy eye applied to a clean section of the skin....
I've been tying his shrimp pattern using the skin and they are by far the best durn looking shrimp I've ever turned out.

duh! I just scrolled back to your pic. You already used the 3-D eyes. Pray tell, how strong did they bond?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Flats Rat

Nice pattern Sean!

I picked some up at Newport and have been playing - or should I say Floundering around

Old 02-21-2003, 05:11 AM

Nice job Adrian. I could not resist bought two packs at the Newport show. Tried a small piece and found that its a little tricky to work with. Has great potential. Will try it on some bunker patterns and sandeels. fishHawk
Old 02-21-2003, 10:14 AM
President of CAC

For some reason I can not see Sully's picture... I wonder if it looks anything like the one I did which is somewhere on this site. I have done baitfish and shrimp with it..but feel that it takes too much of the material to do the sand eel and will keep my limited source for shimp backs and very small bait fish. Not sure if it will give you greater advantage as a sand eel than the luck we have had with the deep eel anyway.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Wanna be striper bum

John,

Ssully's eel looked great - real fishy.

I can no longer see the picture of the fly either.

Broken link?

-Mike
Old 02-22-2003, 09:47 PM

Bob,

The eyes stuck on like darts.

John,

I like to do a side by side comaprison fishing with you sometime. Deep eel .vs. sili-skin and document the results. You'll have to allow some slack for my casting limitations though.

Lefty will be my early season guinea pig as he already volunteered.

Adrain,

Very nice flounder!

And yes it's a broken link on the image. A problem with my homepage space.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:29 PM

A better way to test, would be to fish 'em both dropper style. Let the fish decide.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:30 AM

Sully,

Will you post the blown up version of your avatar with the story? Looks like a wave is kicking your arse!!!:eyecrazy:

Lefty
Old 02-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I'm curious as well....that pic in your avatar looks strikingly similar to work done by one of my Art teachers in Middle school.

Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.