Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sharking

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Having run across one during the schoolie BFT hunt(s), I would like to target blue sharks & makos this season.

I have read Capt. Tom's web site and believe I am ready as far as chumming goes but I am looking for suggestions on fly rod, specifically leader, rigging.

Capt. Tom recomends up to 16' of wire, over 100#. What have other people seen, read about, heard about, used?

Also picking up one of these, 3 1/2' chamber, short barrel, pistol grip...grrrrrrrrrrr :hehe:

See less See more
#3 ·
shark regs

roopster,

New regs ( and $$ permitting ) going into effect for shark this year. Still a bit sketchy on the info but you might want to bookmark this thread.

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=12214

Now, what I'm really looking forward to is seeing you sticking your head into a ripe chum bucket in july while trying to coax a blue or p'begale into casting range...:chuckle:

#5 ·
Bob - it's kind of a "given" that you'll get your wish re: me & chum... I have been planning on shanghai(ing) you as the voice of reason for these expeditions. ;)

Been looslely following the reg's, everything is still up inthe air but my money is on the commercial lobby getting their way.

Now with John as the third to compliment my mental vacations, we're all set!! :D

#10 ·
Roop,
This must be one of the longest winters for you ever...waiting for spring with a new boat under FEET of snow.

At the very least, I know I can tie a chum fly.
That's too funny! :hehe:

#12 ·
leaders

:) Roop, I will try and address a bit about leaders, and IGFA. First: if your interested in IGFA, No chumming allowed. No help in fighting, or landing a fish. if any part of the rod or line hits the boat you are disqualified, and above all you cannot shoot a fish. If the truth be known almost all of the records would be disqualified.
Second: Some of the following pertains to IGFA leaders. Class tippet must be of nonmetalic material, and be connected directly to the fly or to the shock tippet. The class tippet must be 15" long between knots. A shock tippet must not exceed 12" in length and may be added to the class tippet, and added to the lure, and maybe made of any material with no limit of breaking strength.The shock tippet length is measured from the eye of the hook to the single strand of the class tippet, and include any knots used to connect theshock tippet to the class tippet.
:(
Roop I checked with my son tonight what he uses is a tapered leader the length of the rod with a 20 lb class tippet, and 80 to 100 lb test single strand wire for the shock tippet. Whatever you do keep a weak link before you get to your line, that way you won't lose everything. Most flylines test under 40 lbs. :( Experience,do not use anything under 12 weight, even that is too light.14, or 15 weight is better. :smokin: Lets try to keep Bluewater Extreme going. The chum fly works pretty good. Do not retrieve, drift the fly to the fish do not cast near it scares them.:(

#13 ·
Thanks for the info Art, much appreciated. It's nice to hear what a real person is using vs. the multiple and different pieces of information in second articles that I've read.

Not interested in IGFA - just want to have fun and a new experience.

Just joking about the scattergun, been using/ owning guns as long as I can remember and I just don't see the rollng deck of a boat as a place one is necessary.

Got the 14 weight, got a reel with plenty of drag and capacity, will build a chum tube, just need to get some bluefish for bait 9 hopefully no proble) will buy a few flats of chum or harvest some macks for chum....

Thanks again.

Roop

#14 ·
Roop, At times a shotgun is the way to go, especially if you get into a mako. That is a fish that you don't want to mess with in close quarters, they are dangerous and unpredictable.:eyecrazy: They have been known to jump into the boat.:D If I went out often, which I don't, I would get myself a stainless steel black powder revolver.:D At least here in RI one doesn't need a permit.

#16 ·
Shark fest sounds like a lot of fun! Art is absolutley right - like most things that swim in the Ocean, they are pretty spooky and generally beat a hasty retreat following a poor presentation. Large fish never cease to amaze me. They can rise to a surface bait with all the grace and elegance of a trout head-and-tailing on an emerging mayfly - kind of takes your breath away when its something weighing in at over 100lbs!

Watching the blue water guys doing their tournament thing, they had some kind of blade on a long pole which they used to cut the leader real close to get a good release without getting physically close to the fish.

Maybe something like that could be adapted for a long/safe release?

We should avoid using stainless hooks or wire. Many of these big toothy critters are close to the endangered list and catch and release rules apply. Lets make sure we both live to enjoy another day ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.