something for a monday - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 12:47 PM

something for a monday

From Roderick Haig-Brown's Fisherman's spring:

One fishes for the expect5ed and the unexpected and learns from both. If fish or rivers or lakes were even nearly predictable, a good part of the sport would be gone. But fish live where men don’t, in ways of which men have only a rudimentary understanding. Bye the pleasant, haphazard means of going fishing one learns and unlearns about them constantly. Occasionally, understanding seems almost within reach; in the next moment something has happened to put it as far away as ever. For twenty years I have fished the two-mile length of the Campbell below the falls, and now I know more questions to ask myself about the river and it its fish than I could have dreamed of twenty or even ten years ago.

Yet the things one does know are immensely precious and it becomes immensely important to go year after year in the same time and the same laces, to retest the knowledge to try to recapture the sensation to find differences and exceptions.

I suppose it is silly to be so concerned about the response of a fish to a bunch of hair and feather tied on a hook. Yet that is what remains exciting. The stop, the pull, the slash the dimpling rise, the surging, savage boil, all those are sensations so powerful that hand and arm and eye write them indelibly on the mind, and they remain there, on recall at any time. Light on the water, break of wave, sweep of current, mountains at one’s back, the cry of a loon, beaver or otter swimming; the drive of gale, the peace of a summers day or the silence of winters cold; warmth of friendship, a mind that thinks in tune with one’s own—all these things can gild the moment, add to it, exalt it. But the end of it all, the reason one goes back and back, the logic of illogical obsessions, is simply the unpredictable way of a fish with a fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Amen, brother Roderick - thanks Jeff I needed that.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:12 PM
removed_by_request

RHB wove words that echo he era he lived in.

It would have been grand to be alive in the PNW back then.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:09 PM

Truth Realized

We are all, Seeker's of Truth
We are all, Hunters
We are all, Teller's of the Tale's of both...
Roderick Haig - Brown had achieved what is known as "Ken". It is a perception or farsightedness that is beyond the norm, sharp and acute. It is a field of vision that comes from knowledge and awareness, and produces wisdom!
Thank's Jeff
Deerhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.