Major Historical FF Discovery ! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 02:07 PM

Major Historical FF Discovery !

in my garage !

I knew my wife moved my library of fly fishing magazines to the garage a year or two ago. I found one of the locations several months ago, which filled a whole shelf of a book case we have in the garage.

Well yesterday I found the remainder in a large storage box filled with old FF magazines back to the 1970s so far.

Some great articles in them by: Bill Macmillan, Trey Coombs. Frank Amato, Les Johnson, Lee Wulff, Ralph Cutter, etc...

God I love that women, they could have gone in one of her garage sales or worse the garbage.

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 07:40 PM

Herter's

Hi PM, I have in my library a book by George Herter, "Professional Fly Tying and Tackle Making." Copyrighted 1949. Maybe you have one seeing you are in the midwest. My copy is well worn as I have used it since I bought it in 1949. If you don't have it, look for it it has a great chapter on "insects fish feed on". I see in Cabela's latest catalog, that a store is going to open in Beaver Dam, Wisc. Hope they republish that book, it is the best book I have, and I am sure it would be a good seller. I also have Joe Brooks book "Fly Fishing."
Old 02-16-2003, 08:05 PM

Art,

Nothing like the good old fly fishing historical books, its amazing how much very technical articles and books were written decades ago which still apply today.

Feel sorry for these new age cyber anglers that think they can find everything on the internet that they need to know.

I had AJ McClanes - Fishing Enclyopedia but cannot find it now. After 3 major moves in 26 years of marriage and numerous wife garage sales it may have been lost. There are still some boxes in our crawl space though it may be in.

There is a Joe Brooks book that I cannot find also. Great little book on how to fish a large amount of NA game fish. I know its here I just have to find it !

PM Out
Old 02-16-2003, 08:13 PM
removed_by_request

Fishing has not changed since it's inception. Only the tackle has.

Fish still hold in the same H2O now as yhey did 500 years ago, still eat the same things and react the same way to their surrondings.

Amazing concept eh?

Learned all of that not from a book or computer, but from time spent chasing them.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Pullin' Thread

Artb,

Herter's book is what I learned how to tie flies from. It was written in Geroge Herter's inimitable style wit all the irreverance he was known for. It is full of good, solid information about fly tying techniques, insects, leader formula, fly line information, and a pretty good fly pattern dictionary though. I have a 1961 edition.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:58 PM

What about Ray Bergman???

Classic? Bergman's "Trout" is it. (Finally got a copy of my own.) I owned many of his books, and he is a superb author, and for ALL species of fish and methods to fish for them. Takes me back to those simpler days, and reading his books are like a chat with an old friend. (By the way, his older techniques and patterns still work well, too!) Seeing references to "HCH and HDH" lines, the old midday ritual of drying and redressing lines, and soaking leaders also lets me remember the chores we used to put up with. It's a good reminder of how easy we have it now!

BobK
Old 02-17-2003, 09:34 AM
President of CAC

Hal..Just as an aside on the historical thing ..I just lost an auction on ebay which killed me... the thing went for $25!!!! It was 300 plus pages handwritten diary journal from 1901 of a fisherman hunter up in Maine... Author unknown... but one of the pages indicated that it was not written disjointed but in flowing sentences and in one entry He was fishing with a guy maned Perkins..maybe the Orvis founder.... Bueatifully described stalking of trout... Whoever bought it will probably publish it I bet.. (Which I had been thinking )
Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 AM

Bob K

Oh yes HDH, HCH lines I remember them well and dressing the lines, etc....

The good old days of trout fishing

Striblue,

Bummer on losing the bid on that historical document.

PM Out

P.S. I found some more great old articles in those magazines last night. Might use them for my FF trivia thread.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:46 AM

Just a thought....

Hey, Hal,

In order to reduce the amount of storage required, I find myself taking the magazines apart, clipping the good articles, and trashing the "junk". I "3-hole punch them", and file in binders, sorting them by year. I do the same with my magazine articles, - maybe my grandchildren will want to read "what grandpa wrote". Impresses hell out of my old HS buddies, too.

The rest I just trash. Sure cuts down on storage!

Just a thought. Don't be accused of being a packrat!

(My flyboxes are now refilled, and I also have backups stored! This cold weather and being snowbound was good for something!

BobK:hehe:
Old 02-17-2003, 11:08 AM

Bobk,

Good idea, except I will not have time to do that until I am RETIRED like you.

My fly boxes are also bulging I have way too many flies and I am still tying. Go figure !!

I cherish my old fly fishing books and magazines. Read a great biography on A.J. McClane. Did you know he functioned as a CIA spy while he was the Field & Stream International Angling editor in the 40s and 50s ?

Its true, he was a decorated army veteran at Normandy, became friends with Army General Bedell Smith, they became fishing buddies. Bedell Smith became the first head of the CIA in the 50s and used Al for information when he came back from international angling assignments for Field & Stream.

I wish I had all of the Field & Stream, Out door Lifes and Sports Afields from my teenage years but they are gone. Mom cleaned them out when I was in the USAF for 4 years or perhaps my brother has them and is not telling me about them ? He also got my rifles, non FF fishing equipment, and my car when I went in the service for FREE!! At least he did not get my girl friend ,some sailor got her, best thing that ever happened to me BTW.

I was into hunting and trapping back then, yes I was a real NJ outdoors guy, hard to beleive isn't it ?

Later

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 02-17-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:34 PM

More old books

Looked a little in my library today seeing we are in the middle of a snowstorm, 9PM and we got about 15 inches on the ground, and it is still snowing. I found a Herter's catalog with lots of good stuff cheap, still have some kicking around like b undled peacock fibers, 1 oz. for .83 cents. I still have some left. Spring, and summer 1973. Art Flick's Streamside guide , 1969. Match the Hatch by Ernest Schwiebert fourth edition 1969, The Complete Fly Tier,1950, the first edition was 1936. Fly Fishing by Joe Brooks, 1958. Flies, by J. Edson Leonard Paperback Edition 1982, autographed to me by the author whom I know very well. Some of these fairly old books have a lot of useful information in them.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:04 AM

You bet they do...

There are a lot of very good methods that are not in common use today, and they are good just to fall back on when those "bad days" or certain conditions strike us.

Just look at the earliest form of flyfishing, or "dapping". It consists of nothing more than extending the rod over the water, and dangling a fly down, bouncing it so that it just barely touches the water. Of course, a very stealthy approach is required, usually hands-and-knees, and a somewhat high bank (it helps the fish's sense of security if it is undercut, too!) to help in the delivery.

Big, fat, huge trout that are VERY leader shy and virtually uncatchable with usual methods can be counted on to smash flies presented this way with a vengeance! With virtually no leader on the surface, that's not a problem. I have used this technique on occasion and under the right onditions with great success.

And there are other techniques, all to numerous to mention, but effective in their own right! Yet the average fisherman isn't even aware of them.

So read the old books, and absorb all that you can. It really can pay dividends.

BobK
Old 02-20-2003, 09:16 AM

I found several nuggets of historical fly fishing gold
in my old magazines already. Oldies but goodies, flies, tactics,
L. Wulff trivia , fly fishing quotes, etc.......

PM Out
Old 02-20-2003, 11:43 AM
removed_by_request

Perhaps you can give them to the national archives.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:13 PM

Be nice, mjyp....

We used to have an old lady living next door to us when I was a kid, a real packrat. My mom offered me to help her move something or other in her cellar - and I was amazed! It was packed from floor to ceiling with old newspapers and magazines, too! You had to get around in "corridors" she had there between the piles.

About a year later, there was a fire, and the house burned out of control. Almost caught our house, and the neighbors on the other side, too! The fire dept. could only contain it to her house, but the darned thing still kept reigniting for another couple of days, and the poor firemen were virtually camped out there. Stunk badly, too, until they got the mess cleaned up!

So, I guess there is a moral here, someplace. Maybe Hal can figure it out for us, as I think he must be at least a 6th grade graduate.

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.