tandem eel - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 01:12 PM

tandem eel

I saw this in a book (Popovics?) a while back and decided to give it a try. I used a mustad 34011 and put a bend in it to accomodate both flies. I think I will go with a single when the fish arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eel tandem.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1493  
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 07:00 PM

I'm still learning how to use this new camera and software. Here is a better image. I'll do the same for my other posts as well. Sorry about the crappy pictures the first go round. Constructive criticism is welcome, and needed (I'm always trying to improve!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sand eels.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1494  
Old 02-16-2003, 08:16 PM
CantAnchorUs

Being new to the digital photo game myself I can`t help out there, but if you send 6 of each pattern I will gladly fish them for a season and offer you my in depth assessment of thier effectiveness.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to neac9 Send a message via Yahoo to neac9
yopu had better make it nine as I will steal at least 3 from him on our next trip lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2003, 09:08 AM
Fly chucker

You're right, that is a Popovics pattern. He calls it his "Schoolie" fly.

BTW, no criticism needed.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:27 AM
President of CAC

If you look back in the archive I also posted the same fly from Pop's book... there look nice but I have never fished it.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:46 AM
_

Thumbs up

Looks nice! I just got Popovics book and I'm planning to try that fly or a variation thereof. A couple of suggestions regarding the fly and photos.

The epoxy on the front fly looks like it extends almost to the hook point, where it may interfere with the hook set and/or break off when you hook a fish or try to remove the hook. It may be better to leave more room between the epoxy and the hook point.

As for the photos, the second photo looks much better than the first so you're definitely on the right track. I've found that the photos come out clearer if you move the camera a little farther away from the fly, even when using the macro setting. Don't worry about it if the fly looks too small in the viewfinder and in the original photo -- you can crop the image and the fly will get larger. Here are some more tips that may help: Use the macro setting (if you have that) and the center focus option, rather than the multibeam focus, and the highest resolution (pixel count) setting on your camera. If you can set the compression level, use the setting for the least amount of compression (it's the "superfine" setting on my camera). Position the camera about 12 to 15" from the fly (more if it's a really large fly!), using a tripod if you have one. Use a background that the fly doesn't blend into. Sometimes it's better to use the flash, sometimes it looks better to turn the flash off and use natural light. Try aiming the camera at the fly from different angles. Sometimes even a very slight change will greatly improve the appearance of the image. If you use natural light that is coming from above the fly you will probably want to position the camera above the fly so you're shooting down at an angle of maybe 30 to 45 degrees -- just rotate the fly in the vise to get a "profile" rather than an overhead view. Experiment! One of the best things about digital cameras is that you can try different settings, lighting, backgrounds and camera angles and see the results immediately. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Q
Old 02-18-2003, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the advice quentin! I'll continue to experiment with it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.