Juve with Polar Fibre - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 10:15 AM

Juve with Polar Fibre

Just trying out the digital camera and I hope I exported this image properly. It's a Juvenile herring, about 4.5 inches tied on a circle hook.
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 11:57 AM

Sorry about that, I'll get it figured out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1491  
Old 02-16-2003, 07:05 PM

Just wanted to add a clearer image. You guys must think I'm 5 years old! Sometimes I sure feel like I am! Sorry for cluttering up the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	juve.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1496  
Old 02-16-2003, 08:09 PM
CantAnchorUs

Very nice flies, all three of them are. Any problems with circle hooks on flies?
Slinger
Old 02-16-2003, 08:43 PM

Hi Steve;

I have yet to fish with the circle hooks (well, I tried them in the bathtub to make sure they swim upright). I looked at some of the archived posts on circle hooks and read very good things as well as bad things. There are conflicting reports, but I'm going to give them a shot this year. I think I will stick with these 3 patterns most of the time, but I have to admit, I've taken my biggest fish on clousers. I can get into a rut sometimes when tying, and I depend on this board alot to "get back on track", so to speak. I think the flatwings are awesome!
Old 02-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Marine Scientist

Very nice fly; I'll have to try and tie a few of those up this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Marine Scientist

By the way...

... is there a book available that outlines the tying method for those flies? I've always liked the look of them, but don't want to waste a lot of time and materials at the vice figuring out the proper tying method. Something with step by step instructions would be great.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:46 AM

Hey there;

I'm not sure if there is a book about this style, but I can tell you how I do it. Using monofilament thread, I tie in a short strand of polar fibre towards the back of the hook, longer strands in the middle and shorter towards the front of the hook. This gives the fly a nice taper. I like to use the crystal flash in the middle. I rotate the fly 180 degrees and lightly epoxy the bottom (just enough to coat the underside of the hook and the monofilament wraps). Then I add the eyes, again using epoxy. It is a very lifelike and durable fly. I've used the polar fibre before with great results, but this will be my first time with the circle hooks - not sure what to expect. Hope this helps!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Marine Scientist

Ahhh... yes, that helps quite a bit. I haven't done too much with Polar Fibre, though I imagine that EP Fibers are a similar type of material. So all of the material is tied directly on top of the shank, none of it elsewhere? Thanks for all of your help...

Chris
Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 AM

Hi Chris;

I put all the material on top of the shank. I guess one may experiment, however.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Marine Scientist

Broche - Have you had a chance to try these flies out yet? Just wondering what the verdict was on the circle hooks. I've been using Mustad's new C71S SS Circle Streamer hooks for quite a few patterns recently, and will try tying some of your examples in that manner. Of course, I'll actually have to tie around the hook shank, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:56 PM
President of CAC

If You look on the striper archive from last year I have a number of them tied Hy-tye style.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:05 AM

juvenile herring

Quote:
Originally posted by broche
Just wanted to add a clearer image. You guys must think I'm 5 years old! Sometimes I sure feel like I am! Sorry for cluttering up the post.
Interesting, I'm curious what are the eyes.
Joe
Old 03-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Marine Scientist

Tied one of these up this morning; haven't received my digital camera yet so I can't take a snap shot of it at the moment, but I made the discovery that if you're going to commit to using Polar Fibre on one aspect of the fly, you'd better have every color you need for the pattern in that same material. I used some lavender kinky fiber for accent, and the result was a gap between that material and the bottom layers of Polar Fibre I used. Guess I'll have to place an order with Hunter's tomorrow to pick up a few more colors; also ran out of epoxy eyes. So I guess the message is that the materials should be of the same overall physical characteristics in order to "blend them" together on the same fly. This is probably an unspoken rule of tying patterns such as this one, guess I found out for myself!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:04 AM

Thumbs up

I have used circle hooks and they work. You have to let the fish hook itself.
Perhaps that's why people don't like them. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.