night bassin - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Recent Member

night bassin

Anybody else love flyfishing bass with flyrods & poppers at night? Man the way they blast outta the water to kill that fake lil' frog is downright creepy!! lol! I love it. Inky black water, slow chug, chug, chug, pause..KERSPLASSSSSHHH!! Yee Haw is all I can say.
C'mon summer!!!!!!!!! Dan'l
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 07:37 AM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Thumbs up Bass at night

I love it too...
I use the swimming mouse fly...

When thet hit the fly, it sounds like a bowling ball dropped into a trash can from a 3rd. story window... :hehe:

The sound can only be muffeled by the slapping of the mosquitoes. :eyecrazy:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2003, 11:01 AM
_

In my pre-flyfishing days I used to do a lot of night fishing for bass. I primarily used a buzzbait, jitterbug or moss rat, but occasionally a regular spinnerbait or even a slug-go was the lure they wanted. Of course, I'd usually start with the topwater lure because I love the explosive strikes -- just gotta be careful setting the hook! Last year was my first year flyfishing and because of my limited casting skills I didn't do a lot of night fishing. I plan to change that this year and will probably become a night person once again. I'm really looking forward to some night time topwater action on the fly rod!

BTW, the mosquitos are usually the worst right around sunset and for the first hour or so of darkness. After that, most of them seem to have gone to bed (or have already eaten or been eaten) and I've found that if I keep moving and avoid turning on any lights they don't seem to bother me too much. I usually don't even need any insect repellant.

Q
Old 02-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Fly chucker

This thread reminds me of some years ago when my brother and I would fish a pond at night that had some huge bass. We just knew that they were out there, so when the fishing was really good we made an unusual bet: who could cast their popper out into the middle of the midnight fracas and not get a hookup.

Imagine it......creeping a popper along at a death crawl, hoping that the bass won't detect it's presence.....I often pictured an unfortunate soul walking through the valley of death, trying to go unnoticed. Many times we were successful, but when we weren't......well, catching a fish isn't all that bad, is it?
Old 02-20-2003, 12:27 AM
"chicks dig scars"

bassin' at night...try a crawdaddy, daddy-o

i use a size 6 or 8 crawdad imitation that i ripped off from the Dave's craw pattern...takes about 3 minutes to tie. fish it with a floating line with a long leader. cast to the deep and slowly creep it into the shallows.....killer for summer and autumn smallies here in the bluegrass......swimming leeches work well in just inches of water fished next to rocky points and tree roots

give it a shot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.