Golf not Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Golf not Fishing

Well I just stopped laughing from reading the UFT thread and thought I would post something about golf. someone had said in that thread how many golfers we had here in our midst, well I am one of em'. John and Doogue, I would love to get together sometime and play, I have been smacking around the little rock for quite awhile now and aside from fishing golf is all I do. John I would be most greatful if you could allow me to accompany you at some point to the Winchester CC to play. I will leave the Super Soakers at home as I am no match for a bonafide Marquis. Seriously I would love to play a little golf with you fine gentleman, I think it would be an awesome day and I am sure we would have a rousing good time. If not Winchester how about Pine Valley, I here that place is unbelieveable as well. You have some real beautiful courses up your way and I for one would jump at the chance to come and play. I was over to the indoor golf range down here a couple of days ago and I was hitting the ball pretty good, I can't wait till spring. The Masters always gets me revved up to play and I have been glued to the tube lately watching the West Coast swing, I can't wait till Ernie and Tiger are both in the same field this year, I think Tigers got an ass wuppen comin' his way. Ernie is playing unconcious and he is hitting the ball a mile, watch out Tiger there is a new sheriff in town. John I did not get that job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. I have had several interviews lately but have not gotten any further response, I am supposed to go back for another interview with a company in Greenwich but have not gotten the new appointment yet. I interviewed for Golf Shop Manager at Sports Authority the other day and that went very well, they are changing their whole golf operation and renovating to make the golf dept. look like a professional green grass shop. They are going to carry many name brand clubs to include Callaway, Nike, Taylor Made, so they should be able to compete on a more level field now. With their buying power I would expect to see them competing very well in the market down here. We will see and I think I would enjoy working that job as I love golf almost as much as fishing. Well sorry for the long winded non-fishing post but it is the middle of winter and with the nasties at full strength I figured I could get away with a non-fishing thread. Calling all golfers please way in on this thread!!!!!

Tightlines and Tee It high.....Let it Fly!!!!

Mike M.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Well, I've been fly fishing for about 4 years now.

As for golf, I started seriously swinging a club roughly 30 years ago. I took my entire college career off from golf(pool/billiards took over for those four years) and I truly regret it.

Now I play primarily for work with 5 - 10 weekend outings thrown in throughout the season. Work has allowed me to expand my horizons across The Pond to places like Lahinch, Ballybunion, and St. Andrews. I went to the Masters in 2001(again, on work's dime), but, I've yet to find my ticket to actually play Augusta, YET!!!

I've played 54 holes in a day and I find 36 holes easy if I'm striking the ball purely. Against friends I've played entire rounds with only a 9-iron to make things fair. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Tiger Woods and I'm certainly not a scratch golfer, my friends are fairly terrible. I could care less how well or how poorly someone plays. I just like to play golf.

ANYTIME someone wants to play golf I'll take you up on it.

This year should be interesting because I just picked up an entire set of new clubs, I mean woods, irons, soup to nuts. I shipped the clubs I've used for the past 7 years down to Virginia(in-laws house) because travel with my son has become a massive undertaking. Flying with clubs is not an option. I need to get properly fitted and figure out club distances all over again. It'll be good for my handicap.........

Striper, any time you want to play just let me know and I'll try to work it out.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:14 PM
President of CAC

I wish you the best of luck on that job search... and I will commit to having you to WCC for a day... I think I could get 2 foursomes onto WCC...with another member that would be 6 forum members...I could get another member and that would be 9....There was a time about 10 years ago when WCC was in the top 100 in the country... just behind 3 other Mass courses-- TCC, Salem and Kittansett. Played Pine Valley 4 years ago... Brutal...but bueatiful... Because we have reciprocal rights with certain clubs around the country I remember playing Congressional a number of times by myself on a number of Washington business trips... stayed an extra day and took a cab to the club to play and then to the airport... Remember Olympic as well.. But I think the toughest courses I ever played besides Pine valley were Winged Foot and Seminole.... Very lucky to have gotten to those two Gems especially with all the history there. Seminole was Ben Hogan's favorite course. I will make sure to see if I can set something up in April for a forum Golf tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2003, 11:17 PM

Mark,
Sounds good my friend would love to play sometime with you. I started playing back around 84' or so and immediately fell in love with the game, something about the integrity aspect of the game and the fact that you are only as good as your next shot keeps me coming back. The game came to me pretty naturally and I have alot of people at the facility where I practice always asking for advice/lessons. I am no Tiger Woods either but I must be doing something right or else they would leave me alone. I have not had the good fortune like you to play all over the world but have had the opportunity to play some very nice course across the US, I lived in California for 9 years and they have alot of courses. Back then it cost considerably less to play than it does now, and I got some real sticker shock when I came back to the east coast and went to play. Used to cost me 15-18 bucks to play a very nice muni course in Sacremento where the seniors used to warm up for the Senior Gold Rush Tournament. That was my home course and it was always in great shape even though it got hammered by alot of rounds of golf. Played some down in the LA area but I didn't like LA would never live there. I am playing a set of Hogan blades that I got last year, I had a set when I came back from CA. but sold them and regreted it until I found another set on E-Bay for $130 bucks, I bought them and have been a happy camper ever since. I got a Cleveland Launcher last year and it is by far the best driver I have ever owned, it may be with me forever as I don't change clubs often. Have an original Phoenix Ping Anser that was given to me back in CA. when the guy I was playing with was going to throw it in the garbage after a poor putting round, have had it ever since can't seem to find a new one that feels as good as this one. Anyway we will have to make plans to get together when the weather breaks and tee it up, should be alot of fun and you don't have to worry about me hacking it around

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:20 PM

You're the best John, thanks.

All this talk of golf has inspired me to change my avatar. It's me standing in Hell Bunker at St. Andrews. I was lucky enough to avoid it during play but my caddie offered to take my picture in it anyway. I'm glad I did.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:23 PM

John,
Golf tourney sounds like a plan to me. I can also provide Hole In One prizes and also we could have a putting contest as well, short money as I am in the process of signing on with a company that does HIO Insurance as a Rep. This is something I used to do for another company, but that company was shall we say not exactly on the up and up, I found out and immediately cut all ties with him. This new company has Legitimate insurance company backing and all clients receieve a certificate of coverage when they sign a contract. I would be willing to front the cost of the insurance as it would make for alot of fun that day, I would not be eligible but everyone else would be. The HIO coverage covers all HIO's and we also provide prizes for all of the par 3 holes. Let me know when you start to get things going and if we have enough interest I will put the contest thing together.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:26 PM

Striper, I picked up Hogan Apex Edge Pro's as my new set. I hope I'm as happy with my Hogan's as you are with yours.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:27 PM

Mark,
Who is better than you???? Man I am envious, you have been blessed by the golfing gods for sure. Some day maybe I too will get over the pond and play some the fabled courses of Britain and Scotland. I will have to be content to play my little local Orange Hills and Great River (Fazio) courses until then.

Mike M.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:31 PM

Mark,
Great clubs you will learn to love those sticks. Make sure you have the lofts and lies checked before you play regularly with them, Hogans have a tendency to be somewhat off in their lofts and lies "out of the box" All of mine when I got the first set were 1-2 degs. off, not a big deal and they can be adjusted easily as they are soft forged clubs, although I am sure you already know that. Now you've done it you got me talking golf, I won't shut up now until springtime and teeing it up. Thanks..................

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 PM

Mark,
I have had my eye on those new Titliest 690 MB Blades, those are some sweet sticks. May be able to swing a set of those real soon. Will probably stick with my Hogans though, I just love these sticks and I guarantee I will never get rid of them again even if I do get another set.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 PM

By the way, I'm the one who's envious.

If I had a pic of me with a fish like yours I'd have IT as my avatar.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:37 PM

Mark,
I would trade any of the fish I have caught for just one round on one of the courses you have been so lucky to play. See me later this season and we will fix the avatar problem you seem to have The boat is gassed and ready for the coming season and I would be more than happy to bring you out for an avatar creating trip.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 02-15-2003, 07:50 AM
LT 20

Golfer here!

I used to play alot of golf before I got into fly fishing. I was a member of the gross division in BAGS (Boston Amateur Golf Society). I use to play in the Mass. Golf Assocation tournaments around the state. Now let me state also that I have not played much in the last 3/4 years, so I know longer know where my shots are going to go, even back then sometimes I didn't lol. I would love to be included in any forum golf get together. Please keep me in mind.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:03 AM
President of CAC

Well..I love Golf...but I still love the walk down the beach and the perfect cast and the anticipation of the that "tug". The scales tip to flyfishing for me. There is a large group of guys from Winchester who go to Bermuda each year and play a tournament at Mid Ocean Club and live at the club house accommodations... I have been invited each year...but I think I would have a hard time just playing golf the whole time.. I would want to set out on the water for a day or two.. split the time..but that would not be in the cards...so I don't go.

Last edited by striblue; 02-15-2003 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:49 AM

I don't blame you John.

Sometimes golf trips are more about the 19th hole, too. I play golf because it's challenging and relaxing all at the same time. I don't do it as a warm up for an afternoon of imbibing.

Then again, most guys I know that spin fish from a boat use that time to kick back with some beer as well.

I guess I'm totally misunderstood by two different groups. I won't drink when I golf or fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.