Views:	138
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1485  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Recent Member

Very nice Flatwing. The colors are great for NY and NJ. One question though, I have not tied flatwings yet because I worry about the long trailing feather fouling around the hook...have any of you guys who tie flatwings experience frequent fouling?
Old 02-15-2003, 07:59 AM

Fouling is a problem w/ a casting style, not the design of the fly. Slow down and open up your loop and the fly will not foul. A flatwing is designed to be fished close, Not cast to the horizon and two handed stripped back in. It is a different type of fishing than most saltwater fly fisherman are familiar with. More like trout fishing in a river.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up

Mike- Another great fly and it will work here in RI when the water gets really cloudy like it usually does in the late spring afte a heavy rain.
Now for my question- have you ever tried Abrames' soft hackle style of flies; ie., the "change-up" or Hunky's? I have and in fact the change up listed in Ken's first book is the fly that got me started tying flatwings. I have since found that by adding a flat tied hackle to the wing position of one of these flies you can get a broader profile to imitate the smaller bunker we get in Narragansett Bay in August till just about the end of the season.
I start with the basic colors of Hunky's finest and add an olive gray saddle(short) to just cover the body wraps and provide some color contrast to the dorsal side of the fly. This was the first one I tried and in one hour went thru all 6 that I had tied- the blues wouldn't leave them alone and were even cutting the steel leader. Since that nite I have tried different colors but generally use the same color for the "wing " as the top hackle of the "tail".
I wish I could post pictures but not yet.
Just some food for thought till the weather decides to break- I'm getting tired of all the cold. Ron
Old 02-15-2003, 09:00 AM

Ron, I agree about this weather Where's spring?!?!
That fly sounds interesting I will tie one and post it later today.
Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.