Tuna Trolling Fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Bluewater Extreme Test the limits of the fly fishing domain

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2003, 08:52 PM

Talking Tuna Trolling Fly

Here I go again. I saw the fly swap posted here from another board which I didn't want to get involved. There is not much posting under Bluewater. The reason I think, is because of the cost. I know it does effect me. I do not get much chance to go bluewater, but when I have I have always had a good time. Most of the trips I go on are when everything goes, flyfishing, or that other kind, what is it called terminal gear. I have managed though to get a fly in the water trolling. Years ago I noticed that tuna, yellowfins will hit the lures that are really throwing water behind a boat, and actually come right up to very close to the stern. I got fooling around with the fly pattern that I am posting. It is kind of like the parakeet fly, except it is made out of yarn, and very difficult to tie, but believe me it does work. Almost everytime I have gone I have had yellowfin on. How do I know there were yellowfin? because guys alongside using terminal gear landed some of them. I didn't, reason being fishing too light, 10 weight, and dirrect drive,usually ending in busted knuckles, boy! can those fish fight. I am looking forward to this year with a 15 weight rod, and a 12 weight anti-reverse reel. I am going to try from time to time to make this bluewater thread more interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tunaeater2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1477  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2003, 10:58 PM
President of CAC

Art... I would love to get this forum going. There is so much to talk about and the flies are fantastic... I hope to do some Tuna fishing this year.... after reading Zane Geys world wide adventures with Marlin, sword fish and Tuna... a great 14 wt should really make for some action. Thanks for the posting the fly...now if I could get Bob Pink to post some of the tuna flies he used last season that were so successful we would have a great head start as well.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:48 AM

That's an interesting fly Art.

What kind of line were you casting that with? I see the yarn as being a great way to get the fly down, once it's wet but hard to pick up & cast?

Hope to use the new ride for chasing the schoolie BFT & sharks this season. Will definitely have something to offer to the forum then, most probably along the lines of a primer on "where NOT to go and what NOT to do" ....

Roop
Old 02-13-2003, 08:52 PM

Hi Roop, I used a 10 weight, which was far too light. It does not cast very good, but like I said it is a trolling fly. Made it out of yarn so that it would hold water, not so much too sink. It has fairly large lead eyes. Knowing that when I usually get to go the others are using terminal gear. With a lot of time trolling around speed about 5-7 knots. What I tempted to do was have a fly that throws a lot of water, and that fly throws a roostertail, which is what I have been trying to achieve. Go with a rod 12 weight or over. I do have a 15 weight rod I built 3 or 4 years ago. It is a hard thing to decide what rod to setup as I also like to catch albacore, and mahi mahi, and usually have a better oportunity to catch them, and they need a lighter rod than a 15 weight. Lets get this Blue water rolling.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:23 PM

trolling flies

Nothing like a snowy day to get one browsing in places less frequented.
When it comes to trolling with flies I have little experience, but I one moment springs to mind. It was the first day of the fall trip to Harkers this year. Weather was shaky and we were all still in search mode trying to figure out where the albies might be. All the locals were reporting zippo in the usual places so Roop & I decided to head offshore working our way down the bight. Terrys boat called in a report of some bait & spanish macks in the area so wwe decided to set out a pair of boat rods to troll. Once we got those runnign right I decided it might be wise to drift a big fly down the middle with the 14wt.

Wasn't back there more than 3 minutes when we had a visitor come calling.

Now,
I can't say we actually learned anything by this and the success wasn't repeated. Did the lures attract the fish like teasers? Was it just a more natural presentation? (although all the prevailing baits in the water were silversides and we didn't see anything like this 8" long 6/0 pattern) I do see that I'll be trying it again this season for certain to see if I can find a pattern...

BTW I had the 14wt rigged with a 750gr and we were moving at about 3kts so I'd guess that this fly was running about 3-5ft below the surface.

Last edited by Bob Pink; 02-17-2003 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:04 PM
President of CAC

Bob...TOO MUCH!!!!!... what a fish... I am saving that photo for my collection of photo's...
Old 02-18-2003, 08:59 AM

Bob - you NEED to show me how to tie that style of fly.

I wind up using too much material.

Roop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.