Preparing for May, Circle hooks? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM

Preparing for May, Circle hooks?

Greetings to all!

I've been organizing my equipment and getting ready for the arrival of our migratory friends. I have been refining some old patterns and I'm getting ready to sit down and start tying. I love the Polar Fibre and noticed that is is often used with circle hooks and I'm thinking about adopting this style. I tied a couple and "fished" them in the bathtub to make sure they swim upright. I love the shape of the hooks because they seem virtually impossible to foul. I've also done some research on the use of circle hooks (ironically, they were first used by longliners) and found they drastically reduce mortality rates in released fish. I remember someone posted a thread on circle hooks many months ago, but I don't recall the content. Has anyone flyfished with circle hooks, and if so, what has been the experience? I understand that setting the hook is a no-no in this instance. Thanks in advance for your feedback on this matter! May is right around the corner, so get ready!

Bill
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2003, 12:32 PM

Lots of goodies on circle hooks in 'old threads.'

click on the search button above and type in circle hooks. You'll get a considerable number of 'hits' on the subject. Including using them with tube flys.
fae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2003, 09:36 AM

Thanks Fred. I looked up the information posted earlier. There are some conflicting reports, but I think I'll give circle hooks a try for 2003. Deep hooking stripers with flies tied on conventional hooks does not happen very often, but I love the shape of the circle hooks in that they seem less prone to fouling. Just as long as I'm not missing more strikes and the circle hooks stay out of the gills, I'll continue to use them. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Bill
Old 02-09-2003, 06:24 PM

After my experience in Harkers fishing for false albacore using the Varivas and Mustad semi-circle hooks, I bought a gross of Varivas hooks this winter. Just need to find time to tis some flies.

The reason being, all fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth regardlessof either setting the hook or having the fish hit it and set it themself.

Just my $.02
Old 02-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Fluff

The use of hook styles came up on another board recently. I have and have used Varivas as well, and report in as another very satisfied customer.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Marine Scientist

Using the Mustad circle hooks for fly tying...

... dressed as a pinfish, landed a smallish black tip reef shark this week, hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Made it quite easy to remove the hook without stressing her (it was a small female) and without placing my hands in danger of being bitten. That cinched it for me: circle hooks from now on. Beautiful fish, by the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.