Boneclave Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2001, 06:29 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Boneclave Flies

As a tunoid virgin, I am all knees and elbows when it comes to knowing how to get the job done.

What flies should I be tying in order to break the ice? For once I fear that the Deep Eel may not be the ticket...

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2001, 07:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bonito love the deep eel. Right GregD? In fact last year I hooked up on Spanish macs, blues, stripers and albies on a short verrsion of the D/E but switched to other flies when blues and spanish macs were around because they will take the fly 99% of the time. I don't like losing 'em so when in a horde of spanish macs and/or blues I start going thru my reject ties and easy ties or switch to wire as long as they keep wacking the fly.

The Esteys went to very simple narrow profile ultrahair flies with no muss that tie in seconds, and lots of them to deal with the toothy ones. This proved to be a great strategy, they did very well. I think it was just olive/white on a long shank hook (Mike help me out here).

Other than the short D/E my preferred tunoid patterns are very similar to the coho candy I put into the ocean salmon fly archive (but a little fatter and with a seafoam green back for silverside likeness). I first casted a fat albie on the previous Boneclave with my silverside pattern, and it has served me very well over the years. I will post the recipe.

I also increase my juvie selection in Aug - this time of year the south side has lots of young pogies and they are high on the menu. Tie some very small, and some in the 3 inch class IMHO.

Tunoids love squid too, which is probably why they eat white bunnies. The bunny is probably the most commonly popular pattern, I prefer to simulate vs. stimulate for tunoids - silversides, sand eels (which they gorge on), pogies, squid, etc. I don't have any white bunnies in my tunoids flybox, strangely.

Lately more people have been discovering their interest in topwater presentations - sliders, poppers, etc. People are starting to catch them on pencil poppers on spin gear. Did anyone catch the report of the one caught on a tube and worm??? I caught my first bonito on a Page's slim jim slider in current at the mouth of the Herring River myself. I plan on going to floating flies more this year.

My box will likely contain:

- several shorter deep eels colors ranging from silverside to sand eel green
- several silversides
- several juvies (adaptation of the bigeye baitfish with angelhair back and softex, no leaf behind the eye, etc)
- a couple sand eel sliders
- some kind of pogie crease flies (2)
- a few of my coho squid
- a couple standard clousers with angelhair backs
- epoxy surf candy style long shank silversides (3)

And all the usual striper flies for fishing from boats... huge squid, a big banger popper, rip eels (10" deep eels), etc.

Frankly, I probably won't need a tenth of that, but it's finding out which tenth they want!
Old 08-03-2001, 07:29 AM

The narrow profile fly you are referring to is my flats sand eel. It was a fly swap fly and is posted in that section. Very easy to tie.

Gregg
Old 08-03-2001, 08:25 AM

I still got a fresh one in my box from last year!

Lefty
Old 08-03-2001, 08:44 AM

Juro mentioned one of my favorite albie flies- the white bunny fly. Super simple to tie and it's produced very well for me for the albies up here. Down south a chart over light pink clouser with a bit of flashabou was a killer as was the pearl necklace fly I tied for one of the swaps. I think if you do a search you'll find the recipie. I haven't tried these last two on our northern tunoids, but hopefully I'll get to give it a shot soon enough.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the Boneclave again this year, I'm closing on a condo on the 20th, so that whole week is bound to be a bit hectic.

-Matt
Old 08-03-2001, 12:39 PM

You can tie and use whatever colors you like so long as it's white.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:29 PM

You can agree or disagree with this, cause I'd like to hear some (experienced) opinions on this.

When I look at the MOUTH of a Bonito (or FA), I am struck by how much smaller than a striper it looks. Therefore, I pan on tying some patterns on Smaller Hook Sizes, #1s, #2s & #4s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saing it's impossible to hook a 5-7lb bonito on a 2/0 hook; I think I'll have more confidence about missing Hook-ups.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.