Winter deep freeze! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 AM

Winter deep freeze!

Went out this morning, started the snowblower, and cleaned off another 4 inches of snow. Thermometer was in a free-fall - 2 below when I started, 6 below by the time I finished. Snow is forecast for the next three days. (Man, that snowblower is really paying for itself!) I haven't heard the season total, but somewhere around 110 inches for the year.

Lake Ontario won't have any low water problems this spring!

BTW, the woodchuck (groundhog) was wrong! At the current rate, 12 weeks before spring is more like it!

A guy was describing seeing his buddy finishing up a couple of hours on a local trib:

"I saw this creature, beard iced up, with snot dripping from his nose, and 2 inches of ice encasing his waders, and it was XXXXXX, just finishing up! I had to help him get that gear off ......"

The steelies haven't started to run in any numbers - streams are low, clear, and pretty much frozen over in the slower water. Just the occasional fish. When the thaw starts, watch out!

BobK
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2003, 11:45 AM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Unhappy Winter Blues

I am so sick of winter......

As for that groundhog in PA, maybe we should snatch his butt out of his cozy hole and shave him and send some hair to all the forum's members, then we can all tie Punxsutawney Phil flies...

Sorry, just sour grapes to winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Sour Grapes???

What do you mean, sour grapes Naaw - Sounds like a GREAT idea to me!

(Incidentally, woodchuck makes a nice, easy sinking "bucktail".)

BobK
Old 02-12-2003, 03:02 PM

I think I should 'spare you' the weather report for

Medford.

Lets just say I didn't need a coat this morning and I'm in a short sleeve shirt at work.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Golden Trout Guardian

Woodchuck makes some great wulff patterns

Weather is too warm here in DFW: TX fish and game stopped stocking trout cause the water is too warm so don't feel bad I'm done locally till next winter. Have to go to OK or AR to fish

Tight Lines & Shiny Sides
Old 02-12-2003, 03:13 PM

Bob I agree on the snow blower earning its keep. This year I'm not looking at it saying "I could a bought a boat" like last year when we didn't get any snow.

Fred,heres the local forecast for the next day and a half.
The supersoaker duel has to be postponed due to frozen weapons.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and cold. Lows near zero. West winds 15 to 20 mph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday
Mostly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Much colder with highs 10 to 15. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday Night
Very cold. Becoming mostly clear by early in the evening. Lows 5 below to 15 below.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Fluff

Yeah, So What !

And for your information, Mr. "I won't taunt you poor people in the eastern half of the United States, who're experiencing one of the deepest southerly flows the Northern Jet Stream has taken in a number of years, bringing Arctic air right out of the Polar Region as far south as south-central Florida" - we know.

You poor souls are experiencing extremely mild, perhaps drought or water conservation causing weather, because news reports here, in our barren wastelands, described re-routing the Iditarod sled dog race due to lack of appreciable snow and dangerous conditions, showing the band of mild air over the Pacific coast.

Are we supposed to be sympathetic?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:24 PM
removed_by_request

Nothing like standing on the train platform at 6am with a 15mph wind and single digit temps.

Man are we spoiled.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:19 PM

I don't need sympathy!

I'm NOT complaining - just passing out info in upstate NY. I do feel bad that I can't get out "and teach flies how to swim", but I tie flies to keep occupied, and organize my flies and gear. Only thing is I miss the exercise.

Last 2 years, we were hard hit by drought. Hopefully, this year will be a little more "normal" (whatever that is!)

BobK
Old 02-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Fluff

Quote:
Originally posted by mjyp
Nothing like standing on the train platform at 6am with a 15mph wind and single digit temps.

Man are we spoiled.
Sure there is ! - double or more the windspeed, say, like, steady 25, gusting to 50+, and you can be here right now - if you hurry you can enjoy that - tonite and tomorrow!

Watching people trying to walk down the street in front of my building today, being stopped in their tracks by the wind - that's what we have here now. :eyecrazy:

p.s. - Bob, that was directed at Fred Shirtsleeve

Last edited by DFix; 02-12-2003 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.