Old Air Warriors Are Good To Go - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2003, 10:06 PM

Old Air Warriors Are Good To Go

As our U.S and UK forces deploy for the Middle East preparing for the apparent needed invasion and removal of the Irag regime and potential WMD, our old USAF warriors again will play an integral part in the operations.

B-52 - Big Ugly Ft Fellow (BUFF) is a marvel of engineering. See link below. I remember working on a few of them in 1969 and thinking this plane is old, probably will be retired in the next 5 years when the B-1 is ready. Wrong, look who is still flying.

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/54/B52.html

C-141 - Starlifter - air cargo transport which was the state of the art in the 1960s when it was released to the USAF. I worked on them for 3 years. She is still flying and is quite another well engineered plane.

C-130 - Hercules - a great short range cargo plane that can land on short runways in all types of terrain and conditions. Also started flying in the 1960s. Now they use these also as the gun ships which are deadly as you have seen on the news.

Our US activated military reserves are up to 125K now and increased 16K just in the last week. Based upon the current situation it looks like this is going to happen barring a major diplomatic break thru as one Israel General said " It is hard to stop the elephants when they start to run".

God speed and may god protect our US, UK, and other nation's forces joining into the coalition.

Below is a great short narrative which Fred Evans sent me a couple of weeks ago which I have kept. It has some great thoughts for all of us to remember when times like this place our freedoms at risk and our soldiers in harms way.

God bless america and all soldiers who are involved in our defense.

Hal

Subject: Soldiers gave us our freedom!!!!!!!!!

I want you to close your eyes and picture in your mind the soldier at Valley Forge, as he holds his musket in his bloody hands.

He stands barefoot in the snow, starved from lack of food, wounded from months of battle and emotionally scarred from the eternity away from his family surrounded by nothing but death and carnage of war.

He stands tough, with fire in his eyes and victory on his breath.

He looks at us now in anger and disgust and tells us this...

I gave you a birthright of freedom born in the Constitution and now your children graduate too illiterate to read it. I fought in the snow barefoot to give you the freedom to vote and you stay at home because it rains.

I left my family destitute to give you the freedom of speech and you remain silent on critical issues, because it might be bad for business.

I orphaned my children to give you a government to serve you and it has stolen democracy from the people.

It's the soldier not the reporter who gives you the freedom of the press.

It's the soldier not the poet who gives you the freedom of speech.

It's the soldier not the campus organizer who allows you to demonstrate.

It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, whose coffin is draped with the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag!!!

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need.

Amen."

Prayer Wheel:

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our U.S. ground troops in Afghanistan, and the ones facing deployment to Iraq at this very moment - AND all over this world.

There is nothing attached.... This can be very powerful.... Just send this to all the people in your address book. Do not stop the wheel, please....

Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Prayer is the very best
one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bombers_b52_0008-01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1455  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 03:38 AM
removed_by_request

The b52 only works so well because we use it against countries who are not as technically as we are. If it were to be used against us there would be none left.

Probably should create a b52 pattern to honor it.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:02 AM

Hal, why not......

Hey, Hal,

Why not re-up???? (Of course, you couldn't bring your hats along to wear!)

Of course, the pay scale change would be tough, but then again, there are allotments so your family is taken care of.

Maybe now, with college training, you could go to OCS, too!

Just think, where else can you get "three slops and a flop", and get paid, too!

(at times, I, too, have thought about it, and said, "I should have stayed in the Marines. All you had to worry about was someone taking a shot at you once in a while...., BUT YOU COULD SHOOT BACK!")

And, don't brag about "tired iron". We should have replaced 'em years ago. If congress didn't forget that its only constitutional job is to "provide for the national defense" and quit "social engineering", we would have.

C'mon - us ol' has-beens would have a tough time marching 20 miles, running another 5, and still be in shape to fight all day. I think the best thing we can do is support our troops, wish 'em well, help 'em in any way we can, and pray it's fast and surgical.

BobK

Last edited by BobK; 02-10-2003 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:44 AM

"Our war against terror is a contest of will in which perseverance is power. In the ruins of two towers, at the western wall of the Pentagon, on a field in Pennsylvania, this nation made a pledge, and we renew that pledge tonight: Whatever the duration of this struggle, and whatever the difficulties, we will not permit the triumph of violence in the affairs of men -- free people will set the course of history."

George W. Bush

State of the Union Address - 2003

Proud to be an american, I wish I could reenlist at times like this.

PM Out

P.S. My avatar will have the Stars & Stripes on it tonight, if some one wants to take my steelhead image go right ahead, there are more important things to me at times like this.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 02-10-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:17 AM
removed_by_request

Meanwhile our economy falters. G. Bush has many battles to fight. Seems like he is ignoring the big one at home.

Terror and fear strikes in many ways my man.

Hopefully this will not turn into a political dogfight like our last venture into Iraq, or Viet Nam.

The last Iraq venture probably cost us the best General we had in years Norman S.

Hopefully our men will return safe and provide us with a saner world.

Last edited by mjyp; 02-10-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:19 PM

Lets see who takes the steelhead image avatar now.

PM Out
Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
removed_by_request

Thanks for the update.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:07 PM

Talked to my army buddy a military an INTEL officer for 20 years in actives and reserves.

Its going to be quickand efficient should we have to pull the trigger again.

I am still praying for it not to happen though.

PM Out
Old 02-11-2003, 01:45 PM
removed_by_request

I would not count on it.

If those boys have nerve agents etc. they will use them. If that happens many innocents will perish.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Chief of E.P.

Cooler heads anywhere?

PM,

While I will be the first to support our troops once the order is given, I am holding my breath that somehow cooler heads will prevail and convince GW that this is a unwise war and one that is not in our best long-term interests.

As to quick and efficient, that might happen as it did in '56 with Arbenz and look how that all played out. Or it may play out as did the quick and efficient little thing we called Viet Nam. Either way, I fear the price paid will be dear if not in the short term, for certain in the long.

"It is good that war is so horrible, lest we grow to like it too much" -- Robert E. Lee

sinktip
Old 02-11-2003, 08:09 PM

Hey, Sinktip!

Negative on your last, man!
(Translation: No! to your last transmission.)

If you want to sit by while people plan your destruction, that's fine. I personally wish I was still young enough to join the dedicated young Marines, and would, if they would let me.

The military gets damn little support these days, and we didn't back when I was a hard-charging 18 year old Marine sergeant in a place called Korea, but WE FORCED CHINA TO A DRAW! And we would have gone all the way, if Uncle Harry had any testosterone!

So sit back and relax - Young KIDS are protecting your fat backside!

If you and Jimmy Carter had your way, we would be speaking either Russian, Chinese or Arabic!

BobK
Old 02-11-2003, 08:50 PM
removed_by_request

Re: Cooler heads anywhere?

Quote:
Originally posted by sinktip
PM,

"It is good that war is so horrible, lest we grow to like it too much" -- Robert E. Lee

sinktip
Hal,

Take note that is a quote worth mentioning.

Bob,

I think you are missing the point, lets not have war for war's sake but for freedoms sake.

Don't ever forget who let this happen. it wa Georgie boy's daddy who let madman saddam off the hook. It was not Carter or Clinton, it was George. His ignorant actions cost us one of the best modern day generals, and I do not mean Powell. He is a bloody politician.

It was ronny who supplied Osama with weapons to use against the USSR, which made him a powerful man. Now all those stupid nistakes have come back to bite us in the arse.

I am neither Rep. or Dem so please do not lump me in with a political party. I am a realist.

Last edited by mjyp; 02-11-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM

Sorry 'bout that

mjyp -

Right now, we are fighting terrorism. With Usama's little speech today on Al Jazeer network, (Not "Georgie Jr."), the tie-in is made.

Sorry if I stepped on your sensibilities. But there is a time to act.

I am not political, either. It's just the victories of the young kids - many of whom did not come back, or worse... (e.g. don't ask me about "basket cases" - I can tell you first hand) - are too often taken away by the "old men - the politicians". Been there- done that. Then came 'nam - and more of the same - fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

I am furious and still frustrated by that, even if I am now an "old man".

BobK
Old 02-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Chief of E.P.

BobK,

I mean no disrespect to this countries fighting forces. As I stated, once the tracers fly, we need to support them without division.

I know a little about the intel community and destabilization techniques. I also know more than a little about terrorism and media manipulation. To my satisfaction, the administration has not made the case linking Iraq and Al Queda.

Rash action while it might make GW feel good and avenge the pride of his father, will have long term negative results. As Admiral Yamamoto said after Pearl Harbor, "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant". If we move alone against Iraq, that giant will be coming for us.

And just so you know, I didn't vote for Carter or Clinton. And I also wasn't aware that being multi-lingual was a bad thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed ther is still time to stem the tide.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 AM

Question

Maybe all us that are over 50 should go fight wars instead of the planets precious youth.

Just food for thought but some may be way too patriotic to ever understand.

www.msnbc.com/news/871193.asp

An article on "Anti- Americanism rising".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.