Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newport Shore help?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mattb 
#1 ·
Hi guys, My girlfriend is playing in a volleyball tournament in Newport this weekend and I've been roped into tagging along. I'm planning on fishing, but I won't really be there at any of the prime times, so I'm wondering about shore spots to get into some fish under the bright sun. I've never fished down there before, but I'll have a map and I'm willing to do a bit of travelling(I've considered a daytrip up to the cape, but that is a bit extreme).

Have the bluefish been around lately? I know it's a bit early for tunoids, and I'll be fishing at the wrong time of day for bass probably, but any help would be appreciated.

-Matt

#3 ·
I can help fish there last evening. We went to third beach, friend lost a fish in the rocks guessing over 25# broke 20# test.
At the end of third beach there is a wildlife parking lot take a walk to backside lots of rocks. Another place is Brenton Point also rock fishing. Be very careful most of the guys are wearing Korkers some of the rocks can be slimy or watch the waves if a big one comes in it can take you off the rocks hate for you to get hurt. But lots of large fish hanging right against the rocks no need to cast out far actually the closer to the rocks you fish the better kind of like dapping a fly they come out of the suds to the surface to eat anything that gets trapped in the wash.

Also in the evening after everyone leaves the beach the blues and bass are in the surf. Hope this helps I was surprise at how many fish hold in those rocks. One more thing the peanut bunker is in these places.

#4 ·
ED -

Sounds like a classic Rhody coast fishery, I've heard incredible things about Brenton Reef and the area. You know you're into a fish when it pops 20# tippet.

Are felt soles enough or does one need carbide tips?

Matt -

Even though the chariot has been drydocked, I'll bet Capt.Ray has his finger on the pulse of the area too!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Ed, it's good to hear that someone is into fish.

Juro, I'm not sure how things are down in RI, but I wouldn't be caught dead on the rocks up here in Maine/NH without Korkers on, I have felt soles on my bootfoot waders and when I lost a korker earlier this season I thought sure i was going to take a header walking out of the spot I was fishing.

-Matt

#9 ·
Mattb

Seriously. be carefull with locations like the Cliff Walk and Sachuest Point. These places have surge waves that can be ten feet higher than the actual size waves. Any time you have waves going against steep faced, deep water spots, be careful. The energy of the wave has to go some where when it stops so sudden. Places like Brenton Point are much safer due to the fact the waves turn over from the shallowness of the bottom. One man was lost this year already from Sachest Point trying to gaff a striper. Wasn't wearing any PFD devise.

Brenton's Reef has been producing for shore caster's using pencil poppers and swimming plugs. Fly fishers have had less success. Scup, seabass, and fluke are prime time during this part of the season. We have caught scup with a fly before. Change hooks and live line 'em. "You never know what your going to get."

You need any more specifics about location, e-mail me.

#10 ·
Ray, thanks for the warning. I fish rocks/ledges quite a bit up in Maine, so I'm well aware of the safety issues involved, especially when the surf kicks up like it has this week. I haven't been swimming yet, but I got bowled over by a rogue wave in Rye, NH last fall- That's a lesson I only needed to learn once.

Ed, as I'm sure you know the Korker brand cleats are pretty expensive(~$60), but I've made due in a pinch with the cheapo rubber 'ice cleats' you can find at wal-mart, etc. They're usually with the ice fishing stuff, so I don't know if you'll have much luck in the summer, but it might be worth a look. The drawback to these is that they generally only have cleats under the ball of the foot- great for walking on flat ice, not so good for scrambling across slimy rocks.

-Matt

#12 ·
I fished the newport area for about 6 hours on saturday late morning to early afternoon and managed a couple of schoolie stripers on flies, which is more than I've been able to find during the day up in Maine lately.

I got both fish at Breton Point in Newport, fishing an olive snake fly in the wash. I'm pretty confident I could've continued catching, but after the first 2 I was mugged by 3 or 4 'fishermen' tossing clams that must've figured the only fish in the ocean were directly in front of me. Rather than stay and be frustrated by the situation I packed it up and explored some other areas.

I fished all around newport and also down at beavertail in Jamestown. I found some incredible looking water, but couldn't find any fish.

There didn't seem to be a lot of bait in the water and I didn't see any surface activity at all. There was a fair amount of weed in the surf from last weeks swells.

Thanks to all for the info, and thanks to the guys at Saltwater Edge for the map and advice. I'm considering a return trip in the next couple of weeks, hopefully the bonito will have arrived in numbers by then.

-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.