Fly Fishing Forum banner

My Favourite Alevin

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Not necessarily too original, but a fine fly when conditions dictate. Vary colours to suit your local "hatches".

Hook: TMC 200R or equivalent
Thread: 8/0 Rusty Dun
Body: SW Mirage flashabou with olive vernille over
Rib: X-fine gold wire
Egg Sac: Yarn, looped
Eyes: Doll eyes, attached with superglue
Head: Epoxy around eyes

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom,

Yes I have to tie some of those, they are on the list, it looks like you are gluing that olve vernille chenille on the hook ?

Please confirm, otherwise looks like a nice simple alevin pattern which you do not need a glue gun and color sticks to make the sack.

Thanks

Hal

PM Out

#3 ·
Poopah Style

pmflyfisher said:
...it looks like you are gluing that olive vernille chenille on the hook?
Actually, the wire binds it to the shank. What I do is tie in the tinsel and wire at the eye area, wind the tinsel back to the bend over the wire, and back forward again where it is tied off at the front. By doing this, it binds the wire along the bottom of the shank where it waits to do its job. The vernille is then burnt, and laid across the top of the shank, and the wire binds it in place there. (Like you would bind a featherwing on a Matuku.)

Readers Digest version:

1.) Use tinsel to get wire to the bend.
2.) Return tinsel to form flat body.
3.) Lie vernille along the shank.
4.) Use wire rib to bind vernille.

You know my policy, though. Never use a big word where verbiage of diminuitive proportions will suffice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.