Defining the moderator role - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Post Defining the moderator role

It's about time we put a solid definition to the title "moderator" as the new year gets underway. Also, I will try to figure out how we will collectively say thanks to the moderator for these said services. I'd like to discuss this with all to help me decide how best to approach this.

Roles and responsibilities:

A moderator should put himself on email notification for posts made in his board, or at least check it regularly enough each day so he/she doesn't need to. If something occurs needing his attention, it should not be long before it's picked up.

Slow periods should be 'livened up' by the moderator. If no one is posting, put out something interesting to keep the dialog going on the respective board.

Spam should be addressed in a manner like this: on the first incident, write the business a courteous explanation of the ground rules. Edit out links (remove the http) and promote the benefits of becoming a true sponsor, or forward to myself or another who will do same. On the second, move the post to a holding area and let the business know we simply can't allow it out of respect to our real sponsors.

In general, the moderator is someone that provides his or her persona to the board, a reporter or a talk show host, whatever works for you. No hard fast rules, ad lib and fun.

No promises but as staff members of the forum, I presume moderators will be rewarded with flies, boat rides, maybe even a sponsor's discount or something. We need to work that out.

Anyway, we will be starting with a clean slate for the rest of 2003. If you are interested, please announce your candidacy here. If you have comments, observations or requests, post them here too.

thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 02:11 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
are there any qualifications one needs to be a moderator?

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 02-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Golden Trout Guardian

moderater

I could take a shot(cast) at being a moderater

Tight Lines & Shiny Sides
Old 02-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Fly chucker

I have a few people in mind who would be qualified to act as moderator in some of the forums here currently without one. Would you like a PM, or would it be a good idea to just openly nominate some folks?
Old 02-08-2003, 09:55 PM

Whichever is more comfortable for the person suggesting or volunteering; open nominations are cool as are pm's. Keep the suggestions and offers coming, and thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:20 AM
President of CAC

I would hope to stay with my assignments...so this is a self nomination.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:38 AM

I forgot to mention:

Member spam, that is when a member provides a direct plug and link to a non-sponsor business. Our policy is and has always been that the member must:

follow up to the promoted business with an email, CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com, expounding the virtues of supporting his/her community in his/her own words.

This will then be followed up by the moderator and/or I or Dana to explain the details.

It will be up to the moderator to kindly enforce this in a friendly and upbeat manner for his/her category.

If the sponsorship succeeds, we'll have to get a nice thank you award for the member and will have add'l funding support to run the site and award the moderator for the year's efforts, etc. We also do right by our existing sponsors by not permitting non-sponsor businesses to benefit from the community they help sustain. Win/win/win if you ask me.

Bottom line: moderators must hold this policy.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:01 PM

I would be happy to continue my role as a moderator. Having said that, if someone else would like to do it, I don't want to hog that spot.
"Member spam" as it has been called, is usually offerd as a direct answer to a question, or friendly advice. Hardly my definition of spam. Should we take this to mean that ALL comercially available products and services recomended should get the sponsor request? From Walmart to Varvias. From Gudebrod to The Squire? I am sometimes confused as to when it is ok. to recomend specific products or services. Am I the only one?
Old 02-09-2003, 05:20 PM

Good question, although it's been discussed often. The above suggestion was that moderators should "edit out the http", not the site name itself. How about if members start by not including the "http" or "www" that converts it into a hyperlink? Or Sean could alter the code to not convert into links automatically, but that's more work in an already taxed schedule.

Once again, we never said folks can't promote non-sponsors, we only said that if one does there is an associated responsibility. If the person can not accept that responsibility, then they should not promote - simple as that. If they do, they should feel free to promote away!

Most sites do not permit ANY commercial promotion at all. I consider our policy fairly liberal for a community that subsists on support from sponsors and fund raising activities.

I hope that's clear to all, and thanks for bringing it up Eddie.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:23 PM

Eddie,

No, your not, I do not put up any links any more, other than to news services, or conservations groups, government sites , perhaps which have an interesting fishing information, none to any product manufacturers, since I really do not know which one of our many sponsors I may be impairing.

BTW, I would like Mr. Fred Evans to continue moderating me, if he declines then Bob K would be the second choice. They are both older and wiser than I, so I don't mind being monitored by them.

Actually I think the board in general is very self monitoring with all of the mature and experienced fly fisherman and and fly fishing ladies on the board.

PM Out
Old 02-09-2003, 11:04 PM

ok., no links. fair enough, and easy to understand.

Last edited by Eddie; 02-10-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:40 AM
the speypages guy

Juro is quite right about the fact that very few sites are as liberal with their non-sponsor promotion. We hope that our approach 1) keeps the free flow of information happening that has made us unique, and 2) encourages manufacturers, retailers and others to support us through advertising. With a few exceptions this approach has served everyone very well: members value the forum we provide and support our advertisers, and sponsors value the business and positive exposure they receive by supporting the site. Everyone wins!
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 02-10-2003, 12:32 PM

Dana, I don't think I have "permission" to use the edit function. Is there a way to activate this "power"?. Thanks, Eddie. I would PM all this, but my box is empty and still bounceing PMs.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:32 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
well since no one answered my ? i'll nominate myself for the trout flies section which has no moderator (i think)

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 02-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Pullin' Thread

Juro,

I'd like to moderate the steelhead and salmon fly forum. I don't have time to do anymore than one and this is the one that I can use my knowledge of flies, materials, and tying techniques most effectively.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.