Simple But Deadly flies received - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Fly chucker

Thumbs up Simple But Deadly flies received

I received my share of the swap flies in today's mail. Thanks to everyone who participated......they look great.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2003, 03:55 PM
_

I got mine yesterday. Excellent work everyone -- Thanks! Can't wait to try them out!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2003, 12:09 PM

John,

Got mine today, and will be adding them to my arsenal.

Fred, I have lots of colored gunieau feathers left from spey fly tying and will be tying up some more of these "Body Bag" colored guniea type flies. BTW, last spring on the PM I lost the Body Bag you sent to me to a 12 lb -13lb wild steelhead that I almost had beached (I think). Popped me off at in the critical lost moments, etc..

I did never told you that, did not want to admit it actually worked out here. Maybe there is something to this fly. Will give them another go this year.

All the rest provide good simple ideas for effective flys also.

Thanks

Hal

PM Out
Old 02-08-2003, 09:23 PM

! HA!! Confirmation my mini-brain storms can work in ..

other waters.

Hal, got back from an all day training-meeting session with the Ashland Community Land Trust (I'm on the Board of Directors ... shows you how 'non-selective' they can be :hehe: (Actually - for you Navy Guys/Gals: I'm a 'blank owner.') and Joan greated me at the door swinging two lunch bags full of GOODIES!

God this group of flys looks TOO FAB! Now all I need to do is convince the JoanMeister that I need some recreation time tomorrow morning on the river. (Given I've been wound up as tight as a tick for the past couple of months, the "Scream at the Trees" gambit may work.) God these are a great sellection of flys from the Gals/Guys who worked their bench.

Totally world wide group of flys; I can think of at least 4 Countries represented in this exchange. Dana, Juro, Sean .... you've exceded you're wildest expectations on where the Board would/could go.

Recommendation: shoot the Board a check to help pay for the lights.
fae
Old 02-08-2003, 09:54 PM

Wow Board of Directors maybe you shoud run for mayor of Ashland now that you are eligible as a resident.

Give that special cone head I sent a swim I need a true field test and since we are ice locked here in the mid west it will be a while before I get to do it myself it appears.

Also try The Dead - Jerry Garcia marabou I sent, thats what I call it due to the Tie Die flower child look of it. I tried it last month and it looks like a good one.

Good luck

PM Out
Old 02-09-2003, 06:17 AM

Hal, Roger that.

I'll load them on rods this morning so they'll be "good to go." It's light enough to fish around here until shortly before 6pm, so if not out this morning ..... I'll be doing some "property inspections" Monday afternoon.

Working with land trusts is a most interesting business. Point is the Land Trust holds title to the building lot, and the low income family only buys the home. Most LT's put very strict resale restrictions (how much equity you can pull out when you sell); this and removing the value of the land greatly reduces the price ... and keeps it 'affordable.'

Problem with many Cities (and Ashland is total overkill on this one) is they're being 'loved to death' by folks with major money. Statisticly, about 98% of City employees can't afford to live in town, about 95% of all wage earners here, live elsewhere.

We're actually closing one grade school, and there is little need for another due to falling enrollment. Only young families have children. Was told a few days ago (by someone who probably has his numbers right) that the projected Ashland kindergarten enrollment for 2005 was 85 kids .... FOR THE WHOLE CITY!

The point of the Land Trust is we buy the land, the family buys the home ... usually with a Rural Development subsidized interest rate mortgage. The first action cuts $100,000 to $150,000 off the price, the second can generate a mortgage with an interest rate as low as 1%.
fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.