Michigan - Grayling - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 10:10 PM

Michigan - Grayling

Nice history of Michigan grayling and their demise, which would be us, of course.

Well I can see I fished the rivers where they once swam.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...3612--,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2002, 05:27 AM
removed_by_request

fresh water sailfish, a friend of mine who has fished Alaska many times said the residents call them pests.

Go figure.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:31 PM

Cool article...thanks. Always wanted to catch a Grayling. I don't know what is more sad. The fact that the Michigan Grayling is gone or that all of our beautiful white pine forests got plucked...dunked...and cutt up, only to be replaced with those jack pines. If we only knew then........
Old 12-18-2002, 01:37 PM

Yes we can only imagine what it must of looked at but if you go to Northern Wisconsin North Woods you will see a lot of white pines. Its beautiful country up there and there are trout and of course the king of freshwater fishes (Esox) which is what I was there for a number of times.

However the Michigan jack pine country is still beautiful.

PM Out
Old 12-18-2002, 01:44 PM
removed_by_request

Some of those hardwoods look pretty nice. Gotta like the look of Birch.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how man can come in and rape a resource.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:51 PM

"We have seen the enemy and it is us"

PM Out

P.S. Can't remember who said that though.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:45 PM
removed_by_request

Hopefully not some bloddy politician..
Old 12-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Fluff

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
"We have seen the enemy and it is us"

PM Out

P.S. Can't remember who said that though.
"We has met the enemy, and he is us!!!"

Pogo.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:37 PM
removed_by_request

I saw him dead laying in the middle of the road.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:48 PM

Michigan steelhead

Too bad the steelhead didn't come up into the Pere Marquette or Big River this Fall the way they normally do. Some shot into the Little River, though.

Guess all we can do is hope the Spring spawning run is "normal"--if there is such a thing when it comes to Michigan fishing! God only knows I've seen just about everything during the 27 years I've chased those buggers!!!

Tight Loops'
CapT
Old 12-26-2002, 07:06 PM

Tony,

Keep the faith they will come. Been a strange year, the summer runs were way off also

Welcome to the forumn, quite a dichotomy florida to Manistee, ehh.

Love that little river, took some good pictures there this spring.

It was one of the first michigan rivers I fished in 1980 when I relocated from NJ to South Bend, IN. Really it has not changed much in the last 23 years as far as its surroundings, the steelhead runs though are not as large as they once were.

True story, my first big steelhead trip was in the spring of 1980 went to the PM, LM, and PM for a week by myself. It was late april and I did not know that the runs were almost over. A rookie mistake, hey I did not have the internet then only magazine articles and hear say as to when to go.

Was fishing the first pool I got to on LM below 6 mile and all of a sudden this silver 10-12 lb steelhead comes flying out of the water right in front of me. I can still visulaize that fish jumping now almost 23 years later.

Have a good holiday

PM Out
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 PM
removed_by_request

Its those first few missed fish that burns in the minds eye.

The little M. is a great early chinook fishery. They are tough dogs to land in that small river.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:35 PM

Your "Introduction to Steelhead 101" was much more pleasant than mine. I went "swimming" in the PM TWICE in the same frigid March day (below the Whirlpool and again below Doc Winery's)! Fortunately, our club outing (Red Cedar Fly Fishers of the FFF) was being held at Barothy's and they had industrial-strength dryers or I might STILL be soaking wet!!

Yes, going back and forth from the headwaters of the Manistee to the flats of the Gulf of Mexico takes a bit of adjusting (both ways). But, the fishing's fine, each in its own way. Where we live in MI the Manistee is a spring creek mostly populated with beautiful wild brookies. The browns don't "take over" until we go about five miles downstream, near Cameron Bridge. We live in the Deward Management Area--the last place that was logged out after the turn of the century. We have so many hundred-year old stumps that it looks like the graveyard that it is.

Florida's a bit chilly, but the fishing's been pretty good all things considered.

Tight Loops,
CapT
Old 12-26-2002, 08:02 PM

Tony

Yes the PM's flow can be very deceiving, I have seen many anglers go for a dunking.

First steelhead I caught on a fly was at the first Clay Banks, just above Deer Lick. Best single steelheading day I ever had was just above the Birch Hole on St. Patricks day, in Shaptons,and yes I went for a dunking into that black michigan mud on the south side of the Birch Hole. Was fighting a steely trying to keep him from going further into the whirlpool, had him just about ready to be beached, leaned back on the 8 weight and 4 lb leader, the leader popped and I went almost face down into the black muck.

It was in the thirties and snowing, but I kept fishing. Hooked 13-15 and landed three that St. Patties day morning all by myself with no one else around.

I can only imagine what I looked like when I walked out that morning to the Clay Banks parking, a frozen, shivering mud caked, happy steelhead fly fisherman.

Had to drive to Baldwin wash/dry my clothes in the laundry so I could get back to the river ASAP.

Priceless !!

PM Out

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 12-27-2002 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:55 PM
removed_by_request

Claybanks is a nice area, had my best day there upsream by Deer lick. That was one hell of a hole, I recall fish stacking up in there like cord wood.

Remember the trip down the bank prior to the stair installation?
One wrong step and that slick clay would carry you to the bottom, the walk up after a good rain was also an adventure to remember.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.