Tube Fly Question - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Tube Fly Question

This approach to saltwater flytying has intrigued me for the past few months because of its versatility in tying a variety of large patterns. I've got the HMH tube fly attachment, mandrels, tubes, etc. What I don't have is a supply of short shank, wide gape saltwater hooks that fit in the junction tubing for quick release from the tube fly on the hookset.

A quick review of available hooks that have a short shank, somewhat wide gape, and are saltwater compatible reveals one type - Tiemco 611SP. It is available only in sizes 1/0 thru 3/0.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Simms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

You might ask this question in the steelhead/salmon and saltwater coho salmon boards, where these techniques are very well known... I'd look these up but can't right now.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Bass Assassin

I've been using the targus 4310 in a size 2-4 for my tubes. They're an octopus hook and they work great. Have an up eye, so I usally snell them. Bag of 50 costs around $5.

I use them for steelhead, but the hooks are stainless and heavy wire, so i'm sure they'd fit the bill.

Neil
Old 02-06-2003, 11:34 AM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Neil

If you use an up eye hook you will notice that the hook will have a tendancy to ride out of alignment. To prevent this try cutting the main tube at approx a 45 degree angle. Make sure you cut the angle to correspond with the way you want the hook to hang. The angle will mate up nicely with the up eye hook angle. Once the angle is cut then you can place your hook holder tubing in place.

regards....jake

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Bass Assassin

Aha! I'll have to pull the dremel tool out tonight and try that.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 02-07-2003, 02:47 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Thanks for the response on the tube fly question. After reviewing the posts from the west coast on tube flies, I reviewed hooks available from Gamakatsu, Owner and Partridge. It is interesting that they are live bait hooks meeting the round eye, wide gape and short shank criteria. Perhaps that style of hook should be considered for saltwater flytying. It is my understanding that a short shank with a round eye equates to better hook setting with a strip set, and the fish has less leverage than it would with a long shank.

If the Tiemco 600SP hook proves to be ineffective for tube flies, I'll try the live bait hooks.

Simms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.