Fredevans SBD fly swap entry - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 08:57 PM

Fredevans SBD fly swap entry

This is Freds entry in the simple but deadly fly swap. Ill let Fred add the recipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freds-polka-special-web.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1412  
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 10:12 PM

Is that the blue polka dot version of the Body Bag pattern ?

You never told me about this one, your very sly, very sly.

PM Out

P.S. Malcolm says blue is the last color of the day salmon can see clearly so use these at the end of the day. let us know the results. If it does not work talk to Malcolm (aka Willie Gunn)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 PM

Crap! Leave it to a Atty. to seek out other knowledge.

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Is that the blue polka dot version of the Body Bag pattern ?

You never told me about this one, your very sly, very sly.

PM Out

P.S. Malcolm says blue is the last color of the day salmon can see clearly so use these at the end of the day. let us know the results. If it does not work talk to Malcolm (aka Willie Gunn)
Good eyes! Very slight variation on the theme, but you're 1 for 1 in the 'good guess' dept. First light/last light and the sucker is WORKING as planned. The 'Body Bag' is a during the day fly, with a touch of colour in the water. The 'new' one is a clear water varient. 'Major difference' is the body material (Body Bag: black chnl./banded with ribbing) is straight "Riverborn-New Age Chenelle, size 2: Midnight Rainbow #89 to give the body a bit of 'flash' vs. using a ribbing material, with a touch of light purple fox for a tail.

As I'm using these in fairly dark (very early before/after work) the double Loop hooks are wted with .015-.025 lead wire to get them deep, and 'self hook' if "That's Mr. Steelhead To You!" wants to chomp.

The double Loop hooks take up the slack for the lack of light and tracking my dry line/14-16 foot leader. Water flows are about 2500 cfs in the upper Rogue so I can still do the dry line work (my preference) if you can get the fly deep and tracking in low light conditions. Good thing the office is 20'ish minutes from the 'day job.'

Last edited by fredaevans; 02-03-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM

Darn your good, I am still waiting for the digital pictures of your fly walletts. Remember I sent you mine this summer, not that you could really tell much from all those flies in them though.

I hear anything under 2000 CFS on the Rogue is good fly fishing water. I will make sure when I go it is that range.

PM Out
Old 02-04-2003, 09:02 AM

How about the recipe Fred.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:23 PM

No!!! Never, ever!! :>)

Just kidding; the pattern was included in another post. Thing that makes this bugger work is the double Loop hook and the profile when it's wet under low light conditions. This "puppy" is evolving into a good very low light pattern.

Little in the way of 'hook ups' during "normal light" conditions, but at very first light/last light this twit is pulling fish. "A good thing." Best part is it's very easy to tie (can we all say "Fred's lazy?" and not that good a tier. But, I guess it's results that count when you're on the river and freezing (at least for our area) your butt.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:30 PM

Fred, its been downloaded 39 times already its no longer a secret.

Probably sent around the world wide internet 10 times already also via email.

Whats the pattern name "Blue Polka Dot Body Bag"

PM Out
Old 02-06-2003, 07:40 PM
_

Wow -- my first salmon fly! (I just received the package of swap flies today -- very nice!)

The only salmon around here are the broodstock Atlantics that they put in the local lakes and the landlocked salmon in Quabbin Reservoir (or the salmon in the CT and Westfield rivers that you aren't supposed to catch). Will this fly also work for trout? Rivers only, or in lakes too?

Thanks!

Q
Old 02-07-2003, 02:19 PM

Actually, a good question; don't know.

I only chase fish in the river, but the pattern done 'smaller' on a single hook would be interesting to try. The one pattern (got my box today) that realllly struck my fancy is the brown wire wrapped ' wolly bugger.' (Probably totally! incorrect calling it that). Couple of fellows use a similar pattern with great! effectiveness for fall steelhead and on some large lakes here in the area.

For the lake trout they'll rig up a 5wt rod with a clear slow sink rate fly line. About 10-12 foot of leader and will 'drift' this very slowly (light wind provides all the 'propultion' needed). This fills up the stringer in a quick hurry!
fae
Old 02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
_

Re: Actually, a good question; don't know.

Quote:
Originally posted by fredaevans
. . . The one pattern (got my box today) that realllly struck my fancy is the brown wire wrapped ' wolly bugger.' (Probably totally! incorrect calling it that). Couple of fellows use a similar pattern with great! effectiveness for fall steelhead and on some large lakes here in the area.

For the lake trout they'll rig up a 5wt rod with a clear slow sink rate fly line. About 10-12 foot of leader and will 'drift' this very slowly (light wind provides all the 'propultion' needed). This fills up the stringer in a quick hurry!
fae
Fred, you got the name right if you're referring to the brown woolly bugger that I submitted. I have caught trout (and numerous other species) on that fly, but it's primarily my "go to" carp fly for lakes and ponds . I guess that's why the recipe ended up in the warmwater fly archives. Maybe I'll try the deep drift technique if I get out on Quabbin this spring. That will also give me a chance to test your fly on some landlocks!

Q
Old 02-07-2003, 06:26 PM

it's primarily "My "go to" carp fly for lakes and ponds"

Man! Jimmie Jones (JD Jones on the board) will be all over this one!! He's 'very into' carp fishing in So. Cal. Gather these things can get huge!

fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.