11 wt for stripers? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2001, 09:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

11 wt for stripers?

At the risk of sounding like I am "inflating the stats", it's been the kind of year when there have been enough fish too big to turn and I've been fishing rip currents more and more lately. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wise to go to an 11wt? I'd even venture to say 12wt but I don't think it would be pleasant casting one for any period of time. I'd say 10wt but I don't think it would make much of a difference from a 9wt. Perhaps this is where the two-handers come into vogue.

Any 11wt with a sweet spot that loads the line well and throws without requiring shoulder and arm strain to achieve a working cast would fit the bill provided it would help move a fish with some bulk (thirty-something inch class and higher) faster in hard current.

If you put a flyrod side-by-side with a surf rod it's David and Goliath, yet some of these fish are no slouches to move with the broomstick. I am starting to wonder if the trusty 9'er is the best tool for the job when you have a rip full of legal bass with some in the cow class. Of course they do come in with pressure and time, and since the majority are shorts it might be overkill but anything 36" and over in a rip might be more suited to a heavier tool for the job.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2001, 09:47 PM

I think that Lou Tabory recommends using at least an 11wt for turning larger fish in the surf. I was reading "Inshore Fly Fishing" and I seem to recall he used an 11wt overlined with a 12 wt line. He essentially wrote what you have been wondering - a 9 and 10wt are good for some conditions but in a strong rip, difficult locations and for big fish he thought you needed more of a fish fighting tool. He also thought that a rod with a more medium-fast action lessened arm and shoulder fatigue - which led him to overline it, so the rod would load more easily.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:11 PM

Lou and I are on the same wavelength baby! Don't tell him though, he'll change the channel in a heartbeat if he hears that. [TIC] }>
Old 07-31-2001, 05:58 AM

If you look at the rods they use on billfish they are short rod and a heavy line weight.
The longer the rod the fish has the advantage. I think throwing a 12wt all day would be a lot of work.
FishHawk
Old 07-31-2001, 07:17 AM

Good thread.

I think of my St. Croix LU 9 wt as a moderately stiff rod but I had a hell of a time turning a few fish the other day. I plan on trying a 10 weight as soon as I can get my hands on one - I just hope the fish cooperate.

How many casts do you make in a day? Is a 12 wt meant for that? I think I'm getting too old for that kind of abuse.

On the other hand, I killed a fish last week that was too tired. The factors that led to that situation were a combination of too light a rod, exhaustion (my being tired) and my not
fighting that fish as well as a seasoned veteran would.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:00 AM

I have thought about this every time I read it. I don't fish as much as you guys nor do I catch that many big fish. I only fish my eight weight if I am going to cast all day. This is a matter of my elbows and nothing else. There may be a hitch in my casting style or some other reason who knows. My opinion might change after some big rip fish but if they can land 100 plus tarpon with 12wt & 13wt I should be able to land a 30lb striper on an 8 or 9wt. Guess I just have to wait and see.
Larry
Old 07-31-2001, 08:27 AM
President of CAC

I haved used a 12 wt. Winston XTR with a fore grip the first time I went on the Rip Trips last year and it's a real monster. Throws all the line and then some... I had a 500 grain sink tip. But I must say my arm was feeling it by the end of the day so I think it's best off a boat in wild water. I have been thinking of an 11 wt and will probably pick one up next season.. If anyone is looking for the lightest 11 wt they can find, I would recommend looking at the Winston BL-5. My 9 wt. feels like a conventional 6 or 7 wt and you can cast it all day... sweet rod but expensive. The BL-5 breaks down into 5 pieces and would be great for travel.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:45 AM

Juro,
Think about going to a shorter rod, rather than one for a heavier line weight. Shorter rods give better lifting power. The step up in line weight would help to throw bigger flies, but the fighting capability would only be marginally better. Sage make a few 8.5' rods. You won't believe the difference. If you are casting into a rip from a boat you usually won't need the casting and mending capabilities of a longer rod.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:43 PM

I for one think there is a huge difference between my 9 and ten, more so than between my 8 and 9. This will of course vary with manufacturer, but I have an older non-TL heavy Orvis 10 wt. that is perfect for the type of fishing you are describing--I use it whenever I'm in rips or casting 450+ grains. I see no disadvantage to going to an 11. Plus, that is what Spinal Tap did to "push it over the cliff" by going from 10 to 11, so you are in good company
Old 07-31-2001, 01:19 PM

Below is a 10 Wt. Look at the butt and bend!I have this same rod (cheaper Pflueger hence the large butt). I just added this 10 wt. to my boating arsenal. I keep a 9 wt. with Int. line and 10 wt. with QD. What a difference in rod strength regardless of which rod has which line.
(BTW, Gregg Estey in the shot, one of the best pics ever)
Old 07-31-2001, 01:25 PM
Recent Member

juro- I noticed awhile ago that in Jersey they use alot of 11wts and asked why- just for turning fish especially off jetties. As for what type you might try the St Sroix LU in the 11 wt. It isn't as stiff as some of the faster rods but throws a line nicely and has alot of power for fighting the large ones in a strong current. Just my .02 ron
Old 07-31-2001, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Lefty (07-31-2001 01:21 p.m.):
Below is a 10 Wt. Look at the butt and bend!I have this same rod (cheaper Pflueger hence the large butt). I just added this 10 wt. to my boating arsenal. I keep a 9 wt. with Int. line and 10 wt. with QD. What a difference in rod strength regardless of which rod has which line.
(BTW, Gregg Estey in the shot, one of the best pics ever)
I remember taking that shot like it was yesterday! I also like the one with both Estey brothers - I had to kneel down in the surf to get the right perspective...

Old 07-31-2001, 05:39 PM

Ahh the memories!

Terry is right, that's a 10wt Pflueger and it can turn fish! I am now using a 10wt DS2 and for casting it is worlds better but for turning a big fish in heavy water I'd rather be using the Pflueger. If only I could combine the casting of the DS2 with the fighting backbone of the Pflueger.

Gregg
Old 07-31-2001, 06:44 PM

That's exactly what I am searching for Hawkeye!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:05 AM
Recent Member

Has anyone tried the Redbone rods. Looked at their web site for the money($109) you get rod, bag and case. Looks like a great deal. They have rods all the way up to 12wts.

Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.