DFix Simple but deadly fly swap Meister fly - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Warmwater Gamefish Flies Freshwater Bass, pike, muskie?!?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 09:12 PM

DFix Simple but deadly fly swap Meister fly

Dave fix sent me a series of these flies for a meister fly in the simple but deadly fly swap. Thanks Dave, I'll let him enter the recipe.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 03-06-2003 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Fluff

He named it, not I

(I had it all typed - finished! - and it disappeared. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - Later.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 PM

Cool Fly! Kind of a Clouser variation w/Marabou? I bet with a bit of tweaking this could be an excellent crayfish pattern in brown. Might just try tying one up tonight!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I see a striper-sized marabou gotcha pattern with estaz chenille - very cool, good idea.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:22 AM

Sorry for the name Dave. The lack of fishing has tainted my fly names lately. Heck last night I got excited about catching mys sons Beta fish to clean the tank. Only fish I've caught in months.
Hope todays better.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Fluff

Name That Fly !!!

Marabou Mambo, Clarissa Chiquita, Carmen Miranda - Whatever!
(okay, here we go again)

This idea is an attractor, which can be used to fish the entire water column. Depending on weight, it will suspend in slow water, sinking very slowly, swim in moving water or dive and bump bottom. I've built it in any imaginable color 'du jour'. I never bothered naming it before now. Depending on retrieve, it flutters, scoots or swims like crazy. I've used it in fresh and salt.

Hook: sz. 8 through 4/0 - your choice of standard O'Shaughnessy style. This one on S71S SS #4. Hook point rides UP.

Marabou tail/throat: depending on size, barbs removed from quill for smaller sizes, to using whole quills for tail; palmering or placing quill section(s) for throat.

Body: Pearlescent chenille, matching color, body wrapping or dubbing choice.

Eyes: According to hook size, bead chain or dumbbell style. Some may want to try this with Umpqua style barbell eyes. Don't go too big on the eye unless you want it to look like Barney Google or sink a 2/0-4/0 hook. In that case, you'd be better off weighting the hook body before building the body itself.

Thread: Size A; 3/0; Flat Wax Nylon, your choice.

Krystal Flash: according to color scheme.

Tie on; spiral wind a body of thread to above barb. Tie in tail and spiral wind back to one dumbbell eye's width behind hook eye; cement threads to hook. Marry eyes to hook at that point; drop of cement, bring thread back directly behind eyes. Catch the chenille end, wind snugly to point above hook barb and back to eye shoulder. At this point, make another couple/several wraps of chenille directly behind eye to shoulder wing/throat marabou up; secure chenille. Cross thread to eye front; take marabou barbs or partial blood quill and tie in directly in line above eye 'vee'; add krystal flashtaper finish head and cement.

If I didn't already say this, don't crowd the eye. I do it at times and end up snapping thread while trying to compact it without running out over the eye. BTW - that's a lazy/tired, 'too late at night to be tying', mistake, and you won't forget too many times before your head becomes frayed and out of proportion from having to re-tie, trying to finish.

There really isn't a ton of material on this hook. It just looks fat because of the marabou loft. Adjust body size to hook size, creating about a 1/1 proportion. Contrasting colors work as well.

Last edited by DFix; 02-06-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:29 AM

Thumbs up

Dave, Thanks for the recipe, and the flys.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Fluff

BigDave - I've got a completely different hackle crawdad that Cookie Mons - oops - I mean DbleHaul, knows about.

Mr. Desjardins - did I give you one or two hackle tip bonefish patterns with double hackle sets??? - if so, would you put up the best looking one here, so Dave can see what I mean about the hackle placements - please???
Old 02-06-2003, 11:47 AM

I don't think you did give me one. But here is the whole bunch.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 03-06-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Fly chucker

Gentlemen, I insist that you let me try these flies out. All in the name of furthering our great pastime, of course.

Nice flies, Dave. I think the smallies are gonna eat 'em up.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:05 PM
Fluff

there've been a few largemouths taken by their charms, too, y'know...
Old 03-05-2003, 07:30 PM
"chicks dig scars"

deja vu

dave,
just came across your fly pattern...looks very similiar to a fly we tie using purple marabou and peacock....style is the same...color is the only difference....is an excellent smallie and panfish fly up in the feeder criques in the summer!!!! we call ours a som' bitch. bet yours works even better!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:09 PM
President of CAC

Nice Job Artist..I mean Dave... Actually I think they are great... Nice flies!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Fluff

(alright, I'll bite - and I'm not going for a post count. See above post for details)

Why, Thank You, Striblue, you are too kind in your compliments!

(To others, who may be more serious and post interest which isn't suspect by it's very presence )

This little pattern replicates any leech, shrimp, worm idea you might have; it can be tied down-size or up as far as your hook size will allow; length according to your 'creativeness' or 'artistic' ability (Hey, John! - ). The marabou swims, flows and tapers; it's almost a jig depending on strip/retrieve rate. Just remember to proportion materials accordingly.

Works fresh or salt equally well. Makes a great night eel in pearl black with a little 'deep purple' mixed in (get it, Stri - "Deep Purple" ??? )

p.s. - J.D. - no, I guess I didn't show/give you that secret submarine. No big deal, I'll catch up with it. Mebbe tonite's envelope...

Last edited by DFix; 03-06-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:01 PM
President of CAC

Hey... I was serious with my compliment!... now I am taken aback..hurt.....my compliment has been shunned. joked about... humiliated.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.