If you could only have six flies......... - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

If you could only have six flies.........

.....to use for the rest of your saltwater years, what would they be?

I received "Tying Contemporary Saltwater Flies" today from amazon and I'm merely a vice, and materials away from a fly tying tour de force.:hehe:

I'm looking for six patterns to hone my skills on.

If someone could come up with six other flies that require important techniques that would benefit my tying that would be great too.

Also, could someone PM me the recipe for The Deep Eel.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 06:23 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

If you could only have six flies.........

...I wouldn't fish!

Seriously, I have no idea what the six would be. However, for technique, I suggest you include a classic bucktail pattern like a Ray's Fly, and a three feather flatwing like a Sure Thing from Ken Abrames' book. Those two will give you a lot of useful technique, as well as useful flies.

No matter what you tie, vary sizes and colors to give yourself a good range from which to choose, and...most important...have fun! Remember...there are no Fly Tying police!

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 02-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Pencil me in.....

If I had it to do all over again prior to filling my basement with exotic materials I would try to tie six Ray's flies that are neat and look symmetric and indentical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nothing fancy in my 'survival kit' only the type of jaw-smashing, prey crushing fare that the assasins of the shore come hunting for where and how I fish for them. My perspective is one of a flats sight fisherman and guide, and in this thrilling game the value of the fly is to serve it's role as a critical weapon in the arsenal. The real work goes into the hunter's brain, although much larger than the pea sized striper's noggin it's owner is often humbled in pursuit.

Don't get me wrong, I love the brilliance of flatwing tying and design, and admire the artistry that goes into them, but for me what I love about the striper is that he's all business and the flies I toss his way are direct, to the point.

Atlantics, steelhead, etc - now these flies get my floss, tinsel, seal fur, spey hackles, bronze mallard, indian crow, bustard, kingfisher, swan, jungle cock, etc. These fish are not feeding and it takes a special appeal to solicit a response. The centuries old traditions of the misty British Isles and spey casts covering a pool, the clack of a Hardy reel, the silvery leap of a bright salmon - lives in the patterns of old. But these things are very subjective, to some a traditional steelhead fly is a globug. Not to me.

What I love about striper fishing is that it's a "hand off the pigskin and run it up the middle" game. I'd just as soon hand Mike Alstott flowers than cast a salmon fly at a striper. To me it's a game of illusion, deceit, trickery and there's nothing frilly and fancy to it in my book. A stealthy hunter fools a stealthy hunter - and sometimes the angler even wins.

The 6 flies... assuming stripers and not tunoids...

#1 - Sand eel (this year anyway), deep eel
#2 - Bunker (fall favorite), Juro's Juvie
#3 - Squid (a must in the rips), tube squid, coho squid
#4 - Crab (gotta have it), EZ felt crab, new crabs this summer
#5 - Banger (surf mayhem), big livebody things in my flybox
#6 - Shrimp (I hate 'em, I love 'em) new trick this summer

6 just ain't enough! :eyecrazy:

Chogs, worms, silversides, flounder, bluebacks, even snapper blues have a place in the arsenal, but you said 6.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Patterns from Bro

Bro,

The Deep eel (Real eel) recipe is in your e-mail inbox. It is from Juro's post in the saltwater archives.

I won't give you an exclusive list of 6 flies but:

-Clousers do work: tie some in black for night sorties
-I love the Sedotti Slammer - big ones
-Deceivers imitate lots of critters from baitfish to squid. Captain Art Sawayer uses pink and white and pink and yellow deceivers to imitate squid
-A big ass banger for top water situations. Got any buoy foam?
-Dave Skok's Mushmouth has worked really well for me
-Flatwings have produced well for me but they are not magical
-Art Sawayers silverside pattern from the Marlboro show of 2002 was a winner too
-I have also done well on Ray's flies

I wouldn't tie much beyond these patterns in the first year. I'll give you materials Millionaire style.

Come tie with me. I'll show you the ropes and the basics.

Bro
Old 02-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Jonesin...

Tieing session...

Mike,
We have been talking about tieing for months now and I am as guilty as they come for being short on time. I still have to run it by the fiance but how about the weekend of the 22nd. It would be great to share a few ideas, tell tall tales and leave with a few new pieces in the arsenal.

Sean
Old 02-03-2003, 08:39 PM

Mark -

How about a tying clave? Sully hosts one in the Westford area this time of year, but there's no reason not to have one down in the south shore too.

Or somewhere in between the Doogue domains?

Interested?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:31 PM

If I had only 6
  • Rays fly
  • Deep Eel
  • Slim Jim
  • Bonito bandit
  • Snake fly
  • A Crab - because I've never given them a fair shot.

A tying clave sound like good way to pass the time on yet another frozen weekend.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to neac9 Send a message via Yahoo to neac9
OK my .02
the rays fly always a producer and a #1 CHOICE

the clouser I really like to tie them in the same color scheme as the rays fly

next surf candies a good solid all around fly

slinger made a baby bunker in a buffy style and the fish just could not get enough of it cought blues bass and albies cant wait till next year to try it again

though I have never used them the feather brain looks like a fly I'll use for a long time to come

and a rats ass killer fly and looks oh so good in the water
Ive done well with all these flies with the exception of the feather brain but I do have very high hopes for it
Old 02-03-2003, 10:12 PM
_

That's easy! In no particular order:

1. Clouser -- Olive/Chartreuse/White
2. Deceiver -- Olive/Chartruese/White
3. Deep Eel -- Bronze/Tan/White
4. Epoxy Fly -- Brown/Tan/White
5. Epoxy Fly -- Olive/Chartreuse/White
6. Bunny Fly -- White

If there was room for one more I'd have to add a silver/white foam crease fly. Virtually all of the fish that I caught this past season (my first year flyfishing) were caught on these flies. In my limited experience, I have not yet had any success with crab, shrimp or squid patterns, or with any of the large baitfish patterns. This is primarily because I did not give these patterns much, if any, time in the water. I also did very little night fishing because of my limited casting skills. If I ventured out after dark more often I'm sure I'd want a bulky black fly in my box.

Q
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 PM

I'm curious... most answered with multiple flies that suggest the same food to the fish. That makes me wonder if with just 6 patterns you would trust one said imitation less than another, and could live without covering another species just to have the two.

Personally I would rather have a "goto" fly in each prey species, and cover more species in a limited assortment scenario. It might take a while to sort out the best bunker but eventually you settle on one and that's the one you need.

A good example is the deep eel, it covers the sand eel pretty thoroughly despite being a >gasp< weighted eye clouser variant. I think of it as a large bonefish fly Point being if the fish are eating sand eels you don't need another pattern to cover the feed activity. I don't know of any downturned point flies that I could say that about, nor would I trade it for a down-turned point fly in my sand eel slot.

With 6 precious spots, it would take a radical benefit to get me to give up a slot for a duplicate species fly, but that's just my .02.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:36 AM
_

Interesting point Juro,

I chose my selection based upon what worked for me. Several of the flies I chose may best imitate a sand eel, but they also may imitate a silversides or bay anchovy. A couple are more likely to imitate juvie pogies. The main reason I chose multiple versions of "similar" flies was to vary the color or action or to accomodate the depth/speed of the water I was trying to fish. The main reason I didn't use flies that imitate shrimp, crabs or squid is that I didn't (don't?) have any confidence in them. Of course, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy: I never used them because I never caught anything on them, but I never caught anything on them because I never used them .

My list will very likely change as I gain experience and find out what works when my usual flies are refused.

Q
Old 02-04-2003, 01:19 AM
CantAnchorUs

If I could only have 6 flies, I`d take up golf!!! Seriously, my list would run pretty close to Jerry`s but my all-time #1 go-to is the 4in. Olive over white with chartruse krystal flash, Half+half.
Slinger
Old 02-04-2003, 05:11 AM

Gartside soft hackle, its a simple fly but a real killer. The reason it works is it has plenty of motion. Also Gratside Gurgler a proven top water fly.
The white Estaz fly another simple but effective fly.
Rays fly and the Clouser. What I look for in a fly is simplicity and one that creates plenty of motion. Often the most realistic flies work to catch the fisherman but not the fish. The Hare's ear comes to mind ,a proven classic simple but deadly. You did not mention freshwater but the elk hair caddis would be the on the list.
FishHawk
Old 02-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Middle Aged Member

Deep Eel, chartruese/white
Deep Eel, Chartruese-olive blend over white
Deep eel, chartruse-olive over lavender over white
Deep eel, olive over lavender over white
Deep eel, tan over white
Deep eel, olive- brown blend over chartruse-lavender blend over white

All with various amounts of various color angel hair and polarflash. I like varity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.