Simple but deadly fly group picture & update - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 01:11 PM

Simple but deadly fly group picture & update

Todays update is that the swap is closed, flys are in boxes and will be shipped either tonight or tomorrow morning. I will start posting the individual flys pictures in their respective archives from home tonight. There is a group shot of the flies attached to this post. The flys are from:
  1. Dfix Clouser minnow
  2. FredEvans - Freds former secret
  3. DblHaul (Meister fly) Ice bunny
  4. Quentin, Brown Wooly Bugger
  5. PMFlyfisher, Conehead Sparrow nymph
  6. Pmflyfisher, Rainbow bucktail
  7. Pmflyfisher, Steelhead Woolybugger
  8. Eddies Emerger
  9. Pmflyfisher, Spring Wiggler Nymph
  10. PmFlyfisher, Caddis Nymph
  11. Pmflyfisher, Crystal Egg Fly
  12. DFix (Meister fly) Maribou Criter Getter
  13. Pmflyfisher, Oregon Cheese Egg fly
  14. Brads Scud Nymphs; You ought to see the fish picture that came with these. WOW!!
  15. John Desjardins, White Maribou streamer
  16. Dblhaul, Dark blond
I'll link the list to the patterns when they are on the board. Hope I got all of Hals patterns identified correctly.

Update 02/03/03 10:24 pm I've added links to the pictures of the individual flies. Sorry Hal, somehow I forgot to bring home the picture files sized for the board. They'll be added tomorrow.

Update 02/04/03 all pictures are posted the links are working and the flys are in the mail. Thanks are due to everyone that participated, There is a lot more variety in these flys than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all-annotated-small-web.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1409  

Last edited by John Desjardins; 02-04-2003 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 01:41 PM

Man, I wish they'd have called some other colour than:

(Pmflyfisher) Oregon Cheese Egg fly. Makes us sound like a bunch of "cracker" out here. Interesting thing is (at least for Southern Oregon) I'd never heard of the colour until Hal brought it up in an e mail.

"Oregon Cheese" indeed!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:53 PM

John, divulging our simple secret flies in public, now I will have to tie more simple secret but deadly flies.

Fred, I will send you some Oregon Cheese, its one of the hot colors in the GL for steelhead for probably 15 years or more now. Actually, I already sent you some of those egg flys.

It is hard for me to believe you had not heard of it before though.

John, thanks look forward to receiving them in the mail this week.

Pm Out
Old 02-03-2003, 05:10 PM

Hal, your 'Orgon Cheese' flys are in my box as I type.

Just need the river to drop back a bit to pull the fish up above Grants Pass. Since you brought up the colour I've seen several references to it in suppliers catalogs. Next yarns will be "Chicago Cambered," "Rhode Island Roquefort," etc.:hehe:
Old 02-03-2003, 05:33 PM
President of CAC

John.. great job and really nice photo...
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM

The flies are in the mail, and the remaining pictures will be added tonight.

Striblue, Thanks I'm just using the same methods you've used in this years swaps. I hadn't thought of the group pic before.

Fred if it had a red yolk we could call it the wine & cheese egg fly.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 PM

I'll sort out 'which was which' in a post later.

But "took a late lunch" and hit the Rogue this afternoon with flys from two swaps. Max time per fly was 15 minutes so I'd get the chance to work as many flys as I could over (ya, I knew there were fish holding in the runs) the water. [PS here: the 'group photo' above will simplify this a ton!]

So .... used 7 flys (including my Blue Guinnie -[sp?] at last light) and hit 6 fish in about 90 minutes. Good news was 5, including 'mine,' hit fish; bad news is four - including mine - are imbedded in long gone steelhead. 10# maxima main line for leader just wasn't holding these puppies at bay.

We're back to low water conditions so most of the fish had a tendency to go airborne when they figured out "this is not a good thing." Upper part of the run (Denmon Bar/Modoc Pond) was dry line work with the Burkie; the lower part (and 60% of the hook ups) was in faster/deeper water with a Sage 9140/Rio sinking leader running off a cut back (a Mark Backman 'launcher line') WC 10-11-12.

For you folks in Europe .... Ashley, Gardner and Malcom ... each of your fly's took at least one fish. Malcom/Gardner's had one or two each ... Gar's 2'nd fish is still trying to figure out how to get this thing out of his jaw. Fish was at eye level last time I saw him and your fly. As are a couple more. Read that an airborne fish who busted me off.

Well, off to do a FFF CSCC sign up post.
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 02-10-2003 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:18 AM
Fluff

What are these, Elitist Fish?

They like the European and Midwest flavored offerings, but not those of the Northeast? - Phooey, I say !!! - Harrumpf !
Old 02-11-2003, 09:00 AM

Oh Hush! I used the rising sun as my guide.

And we all know the 'G Time Line' starts in England and runs west. :hehe:
Anyway, for less than a couple of hours fishing it was fun ... even if it did cost me several flys ... all but one of them busted off while embedded in the jaw of an airborne fish.

So don't worry, the mid-west flys aren't 'chopped liver.'

fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.