Why support our local sponsors? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Thumbs up Why support our local sponsors?

Why............

1. Their partnership contributes to our FFF community.

2. In a world of synthesized vocal mazes and internet transactions it's nice to speak face to face with a human.

3. You get the satisfaction of knowing that the person you are handing your money to is the person who really needs it, not a woman in a cubicle wasteland who'd rather be talking about the imported tartan doggie beds that are on sale on page 354 of their spring catalog.

4. It's possible to get a better deal(see below).

You get the point.......

I paid Mike a visit today down at Old Salt Outfitters in Hingham to order my new Salt Water Traveler. Not only did I get a chance to hang out for a minute and talk about the space tradgedy, I got a great deal on a new Renzetti vise.

How is it that a small, independent guy can look me in the eyes and charge considerably less than MASSIVE online/catalog retailers? I don't know the answer, but I appreciate it a lot. He's got my business for as long as I live in this area.

Always, always, always make an attempt to support a sponsor. They just might surprise you.............
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

You buy from a sponsor, you buy from a friend, and you help keep him in business just like he helps us stay in business.

Better yet, you might fish with him too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2003, 05:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
WELCOME...

To the TIP of the ICEBERG!:hehe:
Old 02-01-2003, 05:19 PM

SUPPORT THE SPONSORS

....but Mark, you gotta know that any unfortunate soul who works in a cubicle wasteland, talking about Chamois Knickers, really must need that money.

3. You get the satisfaction of knowing that the person you are handing your money to is the person who really needs it, not a woman in a cubicle wasteland who'd rather be talking about the imported tartan doggie beds that are on sale on page 354 of their spring catalog.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Wink

Ahhhh.....point well taken, those poor souls really could use the money.

The problem, I'm sure they lack a generous profit sharing plan.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:52 PM

Right on Mark. I like dealing with the sponsors, not just because they support the site but they are real class acts. When I tried to get people to sponsor the site it was those very shops that I already gave my fun dollars to. I deal with these shops not because they have the cheapest price but because I feel I get the best value for my dollar. If I have to explain that to someone they probably are never going to get it so I won't waste bandwidth trying.

Rodbuilders
Bear's den
Old-salt
Baymen outfitters
Billington Sea Kayak
Cape Cod Kayak
Hey, this is almost like a sponsor list....
:hehe:
They are the shops I deal with because I like them. I appreciate their contributions to this site and I like what they have to offer.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Fluff

So for those of us who REALLY DON'T

Need anymore equipment, how much??? (you can email if you don't wanna say here)
Old 02-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Pencil me in.....

My best friend WAS an independent fishing tackle retailer. They need all the business we can give them, believe me. I know. It was a sad day when we closed his shop.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Jim, et. al. -

The sponsor list is in the works, but not as simple as one might think. As you might imagine we've extended the status to some although they have not renewed with us, others have not responded to requests to renew, etc.

I am of course actively contacting them to see where things are for 2003, and that is in itself a cause of delay. I would not want to include them wrongly or exclude them if their intent is to renew, etc.

Some have asked to delay renewal until after the spring show schedules, etc.

The list then changes all the time, and would need to be maintained accordingly. Even your short list contains such a case.

Actually a sponsorship coordinator role in this community would be of great service and maybe we should vote on an appropriate annual reward system for the person who would step up to take such a position.

The ideal solution would be a database that is used by the banner system with a management interface to add entries as they occur. It would notify the sponsor and the Forum staff of pending expiration, and when one term drops off without renewal the banner system will cycle it out into an archive. This would automate what is currently a manual procedure.

The point that it is necessary is well noted, but I myself can not effectively complete this task until the list of immediate needs is checked off. I expect that will be around April, with the 4 or 5 events that we have between now and then requiring lots of cycles.

So I guess I am asking if anyone is announcing candidacy, and what do we all feel would be the appropriate reward?

To everyone's point it is a necessary component and we will need to work on it to do right by our sponsors and members who want to contact them.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:31 AM

I thought that the contrast here with Jim W's photo was interesting. Why is the horizon at the same tilt in both of them ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb7.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1404  
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Interested

Juro,

I have interest in maintaining a sponsor database. We have a few topics to catch up on and we might as well add this topic to the list.

I will try to call you this week.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.