Spending metrics - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: How much total $$ for flyfishing avg per year?
500-1000 USD 6 12.50%
1000-2500 26 54.17%
2500-5000 8 16.67%
5000-10000 4 8.33%
over 10000 2 4.17%
Less than 500 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Spending metrics

FF'ers are accused of being big spenders. How much do you spend on fly gear, travel to flyfish, licenses, lodging, expenses associated with flyfishing?

(Pls average spending from 2 yrs prior to 2 yrs from now)

Go on and vote, your wife can't tell who voted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 10:20 AM

I hope she doesn't.....

I would HOPE my wife wouldn't find out how much I spend on sports in general, and fly fishing in particular! She would first have a fit, then go on another shopping spree!

Fortunately, I've got a BIG tax refund coming this year.

BobK

Old 02-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Golden Trout Guardian

Where does the money GO???

Seriously tho I am glad I tie my own or the cost would be even higher

Tight Lines & Shiny Sides
Old 02-01-2003, 11:53 AM

That must be Fred Evans in the 5-10K range.

You all know what range I am in and proudly so.

Got to work on the tax refund, got Turbo Tax this morning and need to generate some cash for that Sage Ultra lite spey.

PM Out
Old 02-01-2003, 12:21 PM

No, I'm not the REALLY big hitter but with

Joan keeping track of "all spending" on Quicken she 'presented me' with a total expenditure of over $4,000 last year. I didn't tell her about the stuff I paid cash for either .... cut your losses in the discussion that followed.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Fly chucker

Why do I have this nagging feeling that I've lowballed my real annual expenditures?

Old 02-01-2003, 02:15 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
in the average year i only spend 200-300 dollars but in 5 years i've been FF maybe around 1.5 thousand.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 02-01-2003, 02:30 PM

Oh I bet you've way underestimated the "true number."

Quote:
Originally posted by Dble Haul
Why do I have this nagging feeling that I've lowballed my real annual expenditures?

By time you toss in food, gas, etc., and etc the clock is ticking big time.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:37 PM

I voted in the under 1000 range, but now after recalculating everything for 2002 I am in the 1,000 to 2,500 category for all equipment and fly fishing trips. Majority of cost was new equipment and fly tying material, not the actual fishing trips.

PM Out

P.S. Don't email to my personal address and tell my wife I have probably a 1,000 unused flys and ten other fly rods that were not used in 2002 either !! I am not sure if she would fully understand the fly fishing malady we have.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 02-01-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:53 PM
removed_by_request

Hal,

I did'nt think your range was on there, a negative number.:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Old 02-01-2003, 03:14 PM

Does the boat count?
Old 02-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Everything counts - but don't forget (a) this is FF spending and (b) averaged over a few years. So the boat, if used as a tanning platform for the wife and kids or to >gasp< liveline pogies, is only partially includable. A 15k boat over 5 years is only 3k per year, plus expenses of running and repairing of course.

I'll have to admit I am not in the low end or the high end. I don't HAVE to spend as much as I do but I LOVE to. For instance, my primary striper fly line still casts fine but after a few seasons of hard use (abuse) on the coast I replaced it whether it needed it or not. I got 3.5 seasons out of my Simms guide weight waders and they are still usable but decided to renew my wader vows this Xmas

A fly line lasts years, monofilament gets re-spooled several times a year every year. A hand tied flies uses pennies in materials, while the dollars stuffed into America's tackle boxes or the food value of discarded herring, shrimp or eels could save a small country from starvation, even more if you could eat worms. The plastic polarized lenses at the cash register at any sporting goods store will let you see the fish just fine. An 89 cent nail clipper cuts the tippet as well as the $20 titanium midgeclipper deluxe. You don't need a live well, minnows, ice to keep the squid from stinking up or a sand spike never mind a fresh spray bottle of pheromones to spray on the $10 crankin' lip buster tournament lure like the 2 dozen others in various colors on the hideaway lure drawers of the sparkle finished carpet floored bass boat.

It doesn't have to be more expensive to flyfish. It just is
Old 02-01-2003, 05:47 PM

$$$$$$$

Money,Money,Money,Money...MO-NEY!
For instance, Last year I left for a trip forgeting #1-My cooler, and thinking #2- There would be a Safe-fred-bertson's up there in the Fir trees somewhere! Cha-ching, an extra Saw-buck at Lucy's Gas and Tackle! Yeah it add's up.
And I remain, next to the ATM with my PIN...
Deerhawk
Old 02-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Marine Scientist

But what happens when your wife accompanies you to the fly shop?

Fortunately, I do much of my purchasing on line, and very little of it actually walking into a store; if it were the other way around, Heather would probably hit the ceiling! Also, thank God that Cabela's offers to send your invoice without $$$ totals, so that way you can plead ignorance! "Hmm? How much did that cost? I forget..." Actually, I'm blessed with a wife that really doesn't care what I spend on fly fishing, so long as I take good care of her (she's got her eye on a new ring for her birthday, which is a small price to pay in trade for what I spend yearly on this sport).
I justify all the money I spend on tying materials by telling her that $60 worth of that merchandise can tie something on the order of 100 flies, depending on the pattern; that works out to $0.60 each. Would she rather me buy flies for $5+ each, and therefore spend over $500 for an equivalent number of flies? She just smiles and reminds me about her ring...
I think that there should be some sort of code used in fly shops when a guy walks in accompanied by his wife. The guy behind the counter smiles at you and nods in a knowing fashion, so as not to arouse the suspicion of your better half. You meander around the store, picking up a few items, pointing out the rediculous price of this year's latest model Brand X fly rod (which you already own, but what does she know about that) in an attempt to distract her from the meager bundle of stuff in your hands. Then you slip the merchandise to a guy standing at the back of one of the isles, who then rings it all up covertly, puts it on your tab, and hands you the goods in a brown paper bag on the way out the door. "What's in the bag?", your wife asks. "Oh, this? Just a few things I needed to tie up some horse flys", you respond. "What did it cost?", she asks, left eye brow raising ever so slightly. "Hmm? How much did it cost? I forget..." A good fisherman knows when not to spill the beans...
Old 02-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Pullin' Thread

Rods, reels, lines for all 4 members of my family, fly tying material, hooks, SUV to haul the boat or just my family to the river with our gear to fish, licenses for 3, waders and wading shoes for all 4 of us, gas, food, lodging are all in the amount spent each year. Man it doesn't take long for it to add up to a whole lot more than most of us think. So, what, I can think of a lot worse things to spend some of my income on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.