Oh, The Water! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 06:11 PM

Oh, The Water!

Good evening,
If where you are sitting now, it is dry, be thankfull! I just took these about 1 mile from my house at a small park....
I remain, with my partner, headed for the Ark...
Deerhawk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1389  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2003, 06:14 PM

THE OTHER DIRECTION

Here is the look up-stream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 2a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1390  
Old 01-31-2003, 07:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wow! I guess we can annouce the new local for the Spey Clave - 8th and main!

We have three weeks to simmer them down and the rumor is this set of high water has some of the thus-far missing fish in it...

Old 01-31-2003, 07:56 PM

If they are coming, that will bring them in, thats exactly what we need in great lakes country, but it is not coming yet based upon the weather forecast. Rain, rain, and more rain is what we need.

Good luck hope they come in for you but what I have been reading about the PNW runs has been depressing to date.

Pray to the steelhead gods I guess !

PM out
Old 01-31-2003, 08:43 PM
removed_by_request

Thats a touch too much H2O if you ask me.

We need a couple of steady soft rains to saturate the ground and fill the rivers.

I have not seen the rivers blown out like that in ages.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:50 PM

Those are natural conditions for wild steelhead in their native waters, except where civilization has hemmed the wild river between concrete restraints.

Snowpack in the mountains year-round, up to 14,000 plus feet in elevation. When the warm pacific jet stream comes in, it doesn't take much to push the rivers up. Notice though that the lowest recorded temps in Seattle is zero degrees, avg around 50 highs this time of year. True glacial streams, crisp and cold year round to support summer run steelhead in July.

God's country if you ask me. To a PNW steelheader, these aren't complaints merely observations.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:52 PM
removed_by_request

The PNW is a far cry from the GL's. We have too many people, too much intervention by man, and not enough H2O at the right time.

I read some where once that the GL's contained 3/5 of the worlds fresh H2O.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:26 PM

WOW!

That's almost as bad as the Salmon R. (NY) was last Feb or March. But by Fall, we were in a severe drought! Now, we are up to our collective fannies in snow! Thankfully, the cold wave of the last few weeks is breaking for a few days (0 to -10), going up to about 40 by Monday - and I'm going fishing! (The cold is supposed to return by Tuesday PM)

If this weather could just get its act together, .....

The midwest has little snowfall. We have too much. Oh, well, they never said life would be easy!

BobK
Old 01-31-2003, 11:07 PM

The G/L are a wonder in and of themselves. I thought I once heard that most of the freshwater on earth is in Antarctic ice, but since each of the 5 lakes are several times bigger than Massachusetts I wouldn't doubt your h2o stats. I think the deepest lake is either Baikal in Russia (which has wild freshwater seals) or Crater Lake OR, one of the most beautiful lakes on earth.

Curious about NY precip levels verses the midwest - is it due to lake effect?

I visited Pulaski (pronounced pull-ask-eye BTW for those who haven't been there) when Mohawk didn't play their cards right and the water ran clear over the bridge downtown. Altmar side channels had steelhead stranded in them and when the water dropped they all died. I forget the year. We stayed in a lodge near Sandy Crk and ate at the awesome restaurant. The limit of steelhead was 5 per angler per day. I do remember how blown away I was by the first one I landed, a 16 pound buck.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:15 AM

FYI, Juro

Yeah, that was back in the days when I wouldn't go to the Salmon. (Too many snaggers)

Limit there is currently 3 trout/salmon in aggregate. We are pushing for a 1 trout limit, and I am pretty sure it will become law this fall.

If a guy wants one to mount, OK. As far as I am concerned (a retired environmental chemist), eating 'em would be just ingesting a lot of PCBs and Mirex.

The dam is now run by a commission, and a member of the fishing fraternity (or DEC?) sits on it. All changes must be unanimous.

This year, with budget cuts coming, I have heard that we will lose most of our best biologists to retirement, with no replacements coming! A real shame.

Flow must be kept at certain levels now to sustain the fishery....
but because of the drought last summer, flows ended up being lower than the agreement (no water to maintain the limits!)

But the salmon run was better than ever! Numerous arrests for snagging and worse! (I called it "slaughter"!)

Our heavy snowfall was due for the most part by Lake Effect Snow. These Arctic blasts have been fierce, and we are running MUCH colder than average for the year. Yet, I hear from Hal (pmflyfisherman) that Chicago has but a pittance of snow.

That's ma nature for you, though - feast or famine. Had an exceptional day on lake-run browns this fall - I got a large brown. Guy who netted it for me said it was 20 lbs + (He had a net with a spring scale in the handle.) And I forgot the @#$&*@# camera that day! In retrospect, though, I measured it and based upon DEC data, it should have been more like 15 or 16 lbs. A nice fish, nonetheless, and my biggest brown to date. I caught it on a smaller trib which shall remain nameless - it gets too much pressure now! That day, I didn't go more than 10 minutes without a hookup!

In closing, thanks for the website! I really enjoy it.

BobK
Old 02-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Sponsor

Wow that's a lot of rain! I almost forgot what rained looked like since it has been so cold this winter I haven't seen any rain for a very, very long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.